PC Interface

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Chibby, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Chibby

Chibby

I have previously programed my C-bus network with a desk top computer with a serial port, I now have a laptop with no serial port only USB 2 ports, I have tried a USB 232 converter with no success, any ideas or other option available?

Chibby, Aug 12, 2004
  2. Chibby

PSC

Purchase a CNI and program it via Ethernet. Otherwise find a USB to serial that works, they are available.

PSC.

PSC, Aug 12, 2004
  3. Chibby

Richo

Ring tech support, they can recommend a brand of USB<->RS232 that will work.

Richo, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Chibby

Wilko

Clipsal recommends a particular type of USB-Serial converter, which you can order over the phone from the manufacturer in Melbourne.

The first time I needed one, I had to get it straight away. I went to Harvey Norman and took a punt on a Belkin F5U109, which has been doing the job happily ever since.

Wilko, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Chibby

ashleigh Moderator

There are many USB to serial converters available.

Clipsal have tested many, and found reliability problems with some brands / models.

Strongly suggest you call tech support for a list of units that have been tested and found to be reliable.

ashleigh, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Chibby

Ross

Maybe tech support could post a list of "tested" units on the forum?

Ross, Aug 13, 2004
  7. Chibby

Chibby

Thanks for your help i'll give tech support a call monday Cheers.

Chibby, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Chibby

Advantex

i have a compaq 2100 (XP Pro). It has a serial port. I also have a 'socket' brand PCMCIA serial card and an HP usb to serial convertor. Both the 'socket' and the HP convertor work no problem. Both work with C-Bus on any laptop I have tried so far be it 95,98, 2000 or XP, with or without a resident serial port, Acer, Toshiba, HP..... The HP usb to serial is not expensive, the 'socket serial' unit is (but it is good).

Advantex, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Chibby

MattB

Com Port Adapters

Check out http://www.clipsal.com/cis/lit_installtraining_connectors.php3
    It lists the adapters that CIS recommend.

I have a Quatech Dual channel card which is excellent and gives me 2 com ports which is handy for what I do. They also have a 4 channel one if you need that.

I also have an Aten UC232A USB-RS232 adapter which has worked OK with C-bus but I did have some issues with Minder.

Also have a look at http://www.clipsal.com/cis/lit_installtraining_news.php3 which has the CIS newsletters with a heap of info on different stuff. One particuar isssue which effects people using USB-RS232 adapters is disscussed in the 2003 newsletter.

Cheers
    Matt

MattB, Aug 14, 2004
Ask a Question