PC Interface/CNI Smart mode configuration

Discussion in 'C-Bus Serial Protocols' started by Conformist, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Conformist

Conformist

I hope one of you guys can help me with an issue I have in trying to find the best mode in which to place the PCI or CNI to meet my requirements. i've tried to work through the document on this and find that I just can't seem to get the interface to operate in the desired way.

I would like to be able to receive status changes from the network (ie a group address changes to on, off or a level. I've been using smart mode by sending the | char wrapped in two CR's. This works fine for receiving the commands I desire. I would really like to have the commands I send to the network, to be reflected back so I can update my devices from the network (not 'poke' the values in manually). I see a I can send out a lower case char which gives status of the sent message, but would prefer what I send out to be reflected back. Is this possible? I've tried to adjust how the interface works with the commands outline in the document, but I seem to only stuff up the way it works. Is there a string I should send on handshake other than the | ? Presently, C-Bus is the only interface I've been working with, I can't seem to get this to work on.

Just as a side issue, I must ask why with the day of the week number (in the timekeeping document), the day numbers were assigned 0=Monday, 1=Tuesday... 6=Saturday when every other system seems to follow a standard of 1=Sunday, 2=Monday...7=Saturday. Was there a reason for this?

Thanks in Advance

Chris

Conformist, Mar 29, 2007
  2. Conformist

Don

I think I can help with one of your questions..

When the vertical bar (pipe) symbol is used, it actually sets TWO flags in the PC interface to:
    a) disable echo, and
    b) enable monitoring of SAL messages

It is possible to enable these features individually, so that you can monitor SAL messages (On/Off, etc), and retain the Basic mode echo. In the CBus Diagnosic Utility, you can achieve this by setting up the mode of operation:
    In 'Set Mode' under the CBus menu, tick 'connect' and un-tick 'smart' under interface options 1

In the development of C-Bus, the echo mode was first developed, but as soon as we started using multiple networks, it was found to be inadequate so the 'smart' mode was introduced.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2007
    Don, Mar 29, 2007
  3. Conformist

Conformist

Thanks Don

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Can I ask one small favour please. I struggled with the string creation for this using the @A330... Can you please let me know the string I should use and if it is wise/OK to issue this everytime I connect.

Thanks Again

Chris Morris

Conformist, Mar 29, 2007
  4. Conformist

ashleigh Moderator

The document "Cbus interface requirements" should include examples of the strings you can send.

You can work out the exact setting you want there.

You should do this EVERY time you start up, and you should issue the same command to the PCI register "Interface Options 1 Power Up Settings".

This way you can be 100% sure that as different pieces of equipment power up and down, they will be able to understand one another.

As for the convention used for days of the week... There is no standard. I've seen systems that start from 0, systems that start from 1, systems where the start of the sequence is Saturday, systems which start from Sunday, systems that start from Monday. In the end the choice is pretty arbitary because there is no standardisation.

ashleigh, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Conformist

Don

Chris,

@A3300001 aught to work.

Don, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Conformist

Conformist

Thanks Don...

That's what I was looking for... a little help.

Cheers

Chris

Conformist, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Conformist

ashleigh Moderator

In view of what I wrote above about sending the same thing to Interface Options 1 Power Up Settings, you should ALSO issue this:

@A3410001

ashleigh, Mar 30, 2007
  8. Conformist

Conformist

Thanks very much Ashleigh

Much appreciated

Cheers

Chris

Conformist, Mar 30, 2007
Ask a Question