Pascal Automation Controller as PC I

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by yellowfunbus, Sep 1, 2010.

1. yellowfunbus

yellowfunbus

Hi, first post, so as usual, be reasonably gentle!

I have searched the forums and scowered the internet for a few answers about CNI, PACA, and PCI.

I am trying to find the 'basic' pros and cons for using these particular products as the PACA and CNI can also be used as a PC interface.

I have probably asked a stupid question, but hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction, and one day I can do the same.

I should also point out, the reason I am asking, is that I also intend to run Charmed Quark.

Kind regards,
    Hal

yellowfunbus, Sep 1, 2010
  2. yellowfunbus

ashleigh Moderator

The PAC can act as a PCI, but when doing so it can't act as a PAC.

So if you buy a PAC to use as a PCI, you just paid a bunch of money for a whole lot of function that you are not going to use.

I'd suggest that if you are going to use CQ, contact them to find what is the preferred interface device. I *think* it's a plain PCI or CNI.

ashleigh, Sep 2, 2010
  3. yellowfunbus

yellowfunbus

Hi Ashleigh,

Thanks for the reply. CQS prefer PCI I think.

Another newbie question, would I need the PAC anyway if I had a system such as CQS?

Cheers,
    Hal

yellowfunbus, Sep 2, 2010
  4. yellowfunbus

Darren Senior Member

It is hard to know. It depends on what you are wanting to do and what the capabilities of the Charmed Quark system are.

Darren, Sep 2, 2010
  5. yellowfunbus

znelbok

CQS' CQC uses a PCI for interfacing to the network.

It is currently limited to one applicaiton only, so if you have multiple applications to work with you will need multiple PCI's.

As for the automation side of it, CQC could do it all as the macro functionality is quite good, but if it were me, I would evaulate what it was that I actually wanted to do and then see which place was the best to have the logic reside. If it were C-Bus logic only I would put it in a PAC, if it were logic that combined other devices (HVAC, TV's, alarms etc) with C-Bus, then I would put it in CQC.

Things to think of are, logic residing in a harware component as opposed to a PC. Resale of the house in the future, will CQC stay with the house or will you take it with you and how does this affect the use of the house (such as any logic for run on timers - basically stuff that is residing wholly within C-Bus).

You can PM me if you want more help with CQC.

Mick

znelbok, Sep 3, 2010
Ask a Question