Panic - All Unit Switched On

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by KERRAW, Sep 14, 2006.

1. KERRAW

KERRAW

I have recently rewired the entire upstairs of my house to use CBUS on the lights and bathroom fans. In addition I have light sensors and temperature sensors in place. Everything has been working great over the last week until 5.00am this morning.

Suddenly every light and fan in the house switched on, we jumped out of the bed and my wife began cursing me for putting in the system. Panic then set in as neither the toolkit or the local override switches would work. Killed the power and tried to find something on the forum (half asleep whilst searching).
    The "Unit" indicator was flashing and one thread talked about a short circuit or open circuit. Disconnected all the RJ45 connections (I have them going to a single patch panel) and then restored power.
    Great no lights on...
    By gradually re-connecting each RJ45 one at a time I have found the offending item that causes the full power on.

So my questions:
    1 - Is there anyway to prevent a full power on (i.e. leave them all off)

2 - Has my diagnosis been correct (I am assuming either my cabling is not up to scratch or the neo switch has developed a fault).

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Gus

KERRAW, Sep 14, 2006
  2. KERRAW

Don

C-Bus Output devices have a pair of remote override inputs which chould have been the source of your problem. These inputs are connected to two of the conductors in the 4 pair Cat5 cabling normally used for C-Bus.

When active, they can turn ON all outputs or Turn OFF all outputs, depending on which wire is connected to the C-Bus common(if both are active at the same time, the OFF function always wins).

When active, the remote override will cause the UNIT LED on each C-Bus output device to flash as if a local override was active. Since the local override did not work, this must have been your problem

If you NEVER want to use this, you can simply break the connection at each RJ45 connector, or at any connections to the outside world from a group of output devices. I think the other thread refers to this solution.

If unused wires from the CAT5 cable were left flying where they may have come into contact with C-Bus common (the - C-Bus lead), this might have caused your untimely fault.

Don

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2006
    Don, Sep 14, 2006
Ask a Question