PACA Serial Ports

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by PeterW, Dec 31, 2021.

1. PeterW

grssll

I have PACA controlling my Somfy rs485 hardwired blinds without any problems

grssll, Jan 4, 2022
  2. PeterW

PeterW

Thats great !! - can you tell me how its been wired as it appears to me that the RS485 converter I'm using is not being powered via the RS232 from the PACA.

I'm certain thats my issue now as i can get it to work via PICED no problem directly running via a serial port on a laptop to the same rs485 adapter.

Does your RS485 converter have an independent power source or has the cable between the PACA and RS485 interface been tweaked ?

Can you tell me the details of the converter you are using ?

Looking forward to how you have yours configured !!

PeterW, Jan 4, 2022
  3. PeterW

grssll

I'm using B&B electornics Linx converter. PACA port 1 connected to B&B and then B&B to Somfy network thru hub.
    Converter using its own power supply for power and PACA using its own supply for Rs232 power as well.
    Make sure converter using correct setting for the rs485. Different somfy products using half duplex/full duplex mode but same baud/pariti.
    Cheers

grssll, Jan 5, 2022
  4. PeterW

PeterW

Thanks for that - i'm almost certain now that if i get a powered RS485 my problem will be resolved.

PeterW, Jan 5, 2022
  5. PeterW

PeterW

PeterW, Jan 5, 2022
  6. PeterW

PeterW

So I was almost convinced if i had a powered RS485 it would work but based on your test maybe not ??

The adapter you tried that can be externally powered did you actually have it powered ?

PeterW, Jan 5, 2022
  7. PeterW

xrmichael

I have tried it both ways powered and un powered, for some reason when i power it, you just get a load of spurious traffic. I have a few more things to look at and i have also ordered a fully isolated externally powered unit that should arrive tomorrow to test. its an odd one as the pac and the pc pull up the line to a close 12v, i think (no expert) the negative voltage on the scope is the unit not transmitting data so TD pin at logic 1 -v (pac was on one input and pc on another only)

Another thing to try have you got 110ohm termination resisters in, if so try it with them out, I read something yesterday that the additional drive needed with these in place may affect powered device working

Does the somfy box you have acknowledge the commands sent when using docklight or can you poll it for the status of the blind.

I think your problems will vanish with a externally powered unit but would be nice to make it work without another box plugged in.

xrmichael, Jan 5, 2022
  8. PeterW

xrmichael

9. PeterW

PeterW

PeterW, Jan 7, 2022
  10. PeterW

PeterW

Hi, after much delay my A-1521 arrived today and i was excited all of 2 minutes i hooked it up ran the PAC and still no movement hooked up the A-1521 to laptop and as before works fine

Can i ask how did you wire and monitor the 1521 to see that the PAC was generating signal when you did your test ?

PeterW, Jan 21, 2022
  11. PeterW

xrmichael

Did you use the 9 pin D plug for the input ? also swap the tx/rx round the converter is wired the opposite of a pc serial port from memory

xrmichael, Jan 22, 2022
  12. PeterW

PeterW

This is doing my head in - so on the 6th Jan you posted that with an A-1521 works fine

I have exactly the same issue i had previously to summarise

(i) PAC cable to null modem cable to serial port on laptop and run docklight on laptop and commands being sent from PAC are exactly as expected

(2) remove null modem cable and connect to A-1521 and nothing tried reversing rx/tx still nothing

And yes i did connect to the D-Plug and tried two tests with rx and tx and then reversing

Stuffed if i know - how did you determine that the A-1521 works fine ?

PeterW, Jan 22, 2022
  13. PeterW

xrmichael

Pm me your email ill send you a video of PAC-RS232 to (1521) > RS485 ><RS485 (generic rs485/RS232 converter) > pc via docklight

before i bought the 1521 the PAC could not drive the COMMFRONT 232/485 adater

Daft question but you have powered the 1521 up with a PSU

It would be great to get this working for you

Ill try my best

xrmichael, Jan 23, 2022
Ask a Question