PAC unit not keeping time

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by IanCun, Mar 21, 2017.

1. IanCun

IanCun

I've had to power off the lighting circuits a couple of times in the past month, but it appears that the CBUS system has failed to keep track of the current time. Normally, I can switch off the power for a while and the time is retained (I assume in the PAC).

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this? From what I understand the PAC has a capacitor that holds a bit of charge to retain clock power for a while. Are there any options I can check to see if this is enabled or check the status?

IanCun, Mar 21, 2017
  2. IanCun

rhamer

You can use the diagnostics utility to see which device is broadcasting the time.
    It may be that another device is becoming the time master after power up.

I have previously found a couple of odd things regarding time keeping when there is a PAC and a thermostat. This link may be helpful. http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12091

rhamer, Mar 21, 2017
  3. IanCun

NickD Moderator

The PAC has a supercap to retain the time settings in the event of a power failure.

TBH I can't recall how long it's meant to last but according to the product datasheet it should be good for 24h.

Note that the supercap does take a while to reach full charge, so don't expect 24h if you've only just powered it up.

How long was it powered down for?

What else is on your network (Wiser? Touchscreens?)

Nick

NickD, Mar 23, 2017
  4. IanCun

IanCun

Thanks to you both for the replies, I haven't had a chance to run a diagnostic on it yet, but I'll do so this weekend and report back with the findings. It may be worth noting that the date was correct, only the time was incorrect.

The power was only off for around an hour (after being online for months), so the supercap should have had time to charge (although may have failed).

I've got a fairly basic system with 5 x dimmer units, lots of standard wall switches, 2 IR sensors, 1 light level sensor, 1 x eDLT and 1 x PAC.

IanCun, Mar 23, 2017
  5. IanCun

NickD Moderator

Interesting.... what time did it come up as?

Nick

NickD, Mar 23, 2017
  6. IanCun

IanCun

I connected to the network today and had a look - I did notice the following settings for the PAC in the toolkit. It's set to have the clock enabled, but the clock gen doesn't appear as active on the status tab - is that the problem?

Here's a couple of screenshots showing what I mean:

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

I fired up the diagnostics app, but wasn't sure how I can see which unit broadcasts the time? I clicked on the time tab at the bottom of the screen, then the refresh button - but nothing was returned. Do I just need to leave it connected then wait for a time sync?

Last time I powered on, it was supposed to be 5:15PM, but it showed as 3:15PM.

IanCun, Mar 28, 2017
  7. IanCun

NickD Moderator

No, this is the physical layer clock on the bus. It only needs to be enabled in 2 or 3 devices on the bus. If it weren't working then nothing would be.

If nothing replied to the request for a time refresh then there is no time master. If you were using your PAC as a PCI with the diagnostic utility then whilst you're doing that it's not operating as a PAC and hence wouldn't reply.

The fact that it's exactly 2 hours out suggests it had retained the time but there was something wrong with an offset somewhere... either an incorrect timezone or DST or both.

Is the firmware in the PAC up to date?

Nick

NickD, Mar 29, 2017
  8. IanCun

IanCun

Thanks, that makes sense :).

Yes, I was using it as a PCI at the time which would explain that too.

I'll try flipping the power again to make sure it's not a co-incidence. I haven't updated the firmware in the past year, so I guess it may need updating - I'll do this too. Hopefully this will fix it :).

Is there a changelog with release dates available? I could only see one with version numbers, but no date.

Thanks for the help Nick, I appreciate it!

IanCun, Mar 30, 2017
Ask a Question