PAC Death- can it be repaired? Better Options?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jr_away, Jul 3, 2019.

1. jr_away

jr_away

I checked the forum for previous instances of PAC failure, which apparently is not common... but:

After over a decade of trouble-free operation, we noted that PAC scenes and other logic in a large house is no longer functioning at all. On examination, the PAC shows no connection or other indicator lights. Disconnecting and reconnecting the pink c-bus connector makes no difference. Not detected on USB connection.

I'd appreciate suggestions/experience re whether the PAC is a reparable unit or whether there's a more cost-effective option for relatively simple needs.

Basically there are 2 PAC scenes triggered by Elk M1g setting spare outputs, also PAC used to activate/deactivate certain lights depending on time of day with some random waits. There are too many lights in the scenes for individual M1g rules and the PAC random waits are tricky to emulate in Elk.

Actually there are 5 of the newer-style Saturn DLT on premise so I'm thinking I could split scenes across those, leaving only the random waits to replicate. There's also the PC interface that still works fine and an older touchscreen.

Suggestions from elsewhere include Raspberry Pi with CGate which seems too much of a hassle. Any suggestions/experience appreciated!

jr_away, Jul 3, 2019
  2. jr_away

Trevor

Can you use the old colour touch to setup the logic and control it from there?

Trevor, Jul 3, 2019
  3. jr_away

Ashley

Are you sure power is getting to the PAC? Does a single Cbus cable go into it, or is it daisy chained. If a single lead, there may be a cable fault.

As Trevor suggested, you could certainly put the scenes into the touchscreen and trigger them from the M1. If the touch screen has logic you can just copy all the logic across too.

PAC's do come up on Ebay. I recently picked up a spare for $135.

It's also worth giving support a ring about a repair.

Ashley, Jul 3, 2019
  4. jr_away

jr_away

Thought I'd replied earlier- but no sign of it. Trying again:

Thanks for the advice. I'll move the device around in case it's a power issue, but it's daisy chained with no other power issues and when last checked there was ample power. I think it's fried. Actually, on occasion when arming the M1g it took a couple of tries for the scene to "fire" so I wonder whether it was stuttering for a while.

The existing touchscreen is an antique B&W version with the non-standard serial connector whose cable no doubt is lost. Will check it out this weekend in case it has logic, in which case as you point out that's a cheaper option than spending $$ for what are fairly simple needs.

On Ebay there's some 2nd-hand PACA for about $300-$400 though I'm hesitant to buy used electronics for a primary device. The new price has gone up enough that another option = one of the latest Spectrum touchscreens unless that's a bad idea... last week there was a new open box 5080CTL2 on Ebay for AU$800.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    jr_away, Jul 10, 2019
  5. jr_away

Trevor

Hi,
    I was thinking you had an old colour touch screen, if your old B/ W unit is a c-touch 5000CT (See Image, I use one in my Workshop setup as part of my test network and to control some tools) then it does not have logic, but can run scenes. Perhaps you can run the logic in Piced (Connected to C-Gate) on a dedicated PC you have connected to the PCI on your C-Bus network. Just a thought.
    regards
    Trevor

Attached Files:

Trevor, Jul 10, 2019
  6. jr_away

Ashley

Try connecting to it via the diagnostic utility. It is best to do this by removing the USB, cycling the power by removing and reconnecting the cbus lines, then connect the USB. This will show you if the Cbus side is working.

Can you connect to it via PICED and edit projects?

Ashley, Jul 11, 2019
  7. jr_away

jr_away

Yep, the B&W unit is of that vintage- and has performed flawlessly since shortly after I joined this forum in 2005, like most of the C-Bus gear except for the time the chippy's drill developed a liking for lighting TCP cables, shorting multiple 2A dimmer circuits. You could not make this stuff up.

Re dedicated PC: I believe that's what the Raspberry Pi advisors are doing. I'll investigate further though getting C-Gate going on a RasPi looks convoluted.

I did try disconnecting and reconnecting and I'll experiment with PICED this weekend, though none of the LEDs are lit and it looks thoroughly dead. Still, would be a blast to resuscitate it...

jr_away, Jul 12, 2019
  8. jr_away

jr_away

Schneider Tech Support has responded "unfortunately no spare parts available" which I presume means not reparable, period. Now checking latest exorbitant prices.

jr_away, Jul 12, 2019
Ask a Question