PAC Connection Issues

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Mouserdrip15, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Mouserdrip15

Mouserdrip15

Hi

Having some real issues with connecting to my network with the USB interface on the PAC. I'll try and list as much detail as possible, sorry for long post!:

First thing to note is I have a network burden enabled and 2 clocks enabled.

I can access and program (using the latest toolkit) my network via a PC Interface (5500PC) using RS232 and COM1 without any issues at all.

PC is running Win XP Pro and I'm using the inbuild hardware COM and USB ports. No adaptors, dongles etc. As a second test the same issues are experienced using a freshly installed PC with Win XP Pro.

The c-bus network has been installed for nearly 3 years without operational issue.

I can connect to the PAC using PICAS if I am connected to the network via the 5500PC and have assigned it a unique address. I cannot however update its firmware or download to the device as it attempts to connect to the PAC via the COM port?

In case its relavent the same issues exisit if the 5500PC is on or off the network. Its normally permanently on the DIN rail but took it out of the network as part of the fault testing.

OK, to the specific errors:

With the 5500PC removed I attempt to connect to the network using the USB port on the PAC, also the latest toolkit and the default 172.0.0.1:20023 as c-gate is running on the local machine.
    When carrying out a default interface scan I get:

"Probing for Interface Device (Found!)"
    "Failed to Indentify Network Project Name"

I have followed a possible fix posted by Duncan as here (Post No 13):
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/sh...=10&highlight=failed+identify+network+project
    but that does nothing to help

I am also getting these errors in c-gate whilst attempting to connect as follows:

20050828-195145 824 //topology1/NET0 - unknown response: 201 See ad Ve.2.42032

Immediately following this message I then get repeating lines of:

20050828-195145 824 //topology1/NET0 - unknown response: 400 SE.

Lastly as part of further testing I have reconected the 5500PC and connected to c-gate to log any unusual responses. The only message that looms out of place is as follows. It repeats twice at intervals thro' the log:

20050830-185356 sys config parameter clock.update-interval not found.

Well there you go, can anyone help as I've run out of ideas?

Best wishes

Rob

Mouserdrip15, Aug 30, 2005
  2. Mouserdrip15

Richo

For C-gate to be able to see the PAC as a PCI the PAC must be connected to the USB *before* you start C-Gate.

Can you try using the C-Bus Diagnostic Utility http://www.clipsal.com/cis/downloads.php3#Diag via the PAC and see if that is able to communicate to the C-Bus Network reliably?

Richo, Aug 30, 2005
  3. Mouserdrip15

Darren Senior Member

PICAS = PICED ???

It isn't clear from your (very thorough) description if you are trying to download to the PAC via C-Bus. At this stage, this isn't supported, and you have to use a direct connection to download new firmware or configuration data.

Darren, Aug 31, 2005
  4. Mouserdrip15

Mouserdrip15

Sorry Darren,

PICED :)

Could you just explain direct connection? I'm assuming this is possible 'once' you can connect to the network using the usb inteface. If I click on 'connect to unit' it immediately trys to connect on COM1?

Thanx

Rob

Mouserdrip15, Aug 31, 2005
  5. Mouserdrip15

Mouserdrip15

Hi Richo

Yep USB is always connected before starting c-gate, so that one out.

I've downloaded the util and can connect perfectly using 5500PC and RS232. No luck on the PAC though. Just to double check, I would enter under program options:

TCP/IP Radio button:

IP: 127.0.0.1
    Port: 20023

I.e. The same as the CNI settings in toolkit?

Thanks for all the help

Rob

6. Mouserdrip15

Darren Senior Member

Connecting your PC directly to the PAC via a USB cable, as opposed to connecting to it via C-Bus (which currently isn't supported).
    When you click on Connect to Unit, PICED is trying to connect to the port selected in the Program Options form. The software looks for a PAC on that port.

It is not trying to connect to the C-Bus network (via the PAC), it is trying to connect to the PAC itself.

Darren, Aug 31, 2005
  7. Mouserdrip15

Darren Senior Member

The PAC doesn't use TCP/IP (Ethernet) for its connection, it uses a serial port (via USB). The above settings are for using a CNI, not a PAC.

From these couple of posts, it seems that you have a fundamental misunderstanding about what is supposed to be happening. I would suggest that a quick call to Tech Support might get you on the right track and clear it up for you.

Darren, Aug 31, 2005
  8. Mouserdrip15

Mouserdrip15

Hi Darren

Well now you've told me that all is abundantly clear. I can't beleive that I had missed that the install had added a new com port :eek: I read the 15 page PAC brochure/tech spec and also the install instructions in detail but neither even mention that the USB interface just creates a serial port. So I just plowed on beleiving the PAC was emulating the CNI features.

Why is it you sometimes read everything but miss the obvious stuff!?!

Many many thanks

Rob

9. Mouserdrip15

Richo

Sounds like we need to update the documentation then!

Richo, Aug 31, 2005
  10. Mouserdrip15

Mouserdrip15

Well I guess the defence is that there is this single line in the 'Program Options' of the help file:

When connecting to a C-Touch or PAC unit, you have two options : connecting directly via a serial port or connecting via C-Bus. If you are connecting directly, just select the COM port number. If you are connecting via C-Bus, you will also need to have set the Unit Address of the Touchscreen in the Project Details dialogue box.

Even that though doesnt exactly say that the usb creates a serial port. And if the functionalty of connecting via c-bus isn't yet done then that is missleading too!

One simple (and not requiring any copy editing by those pesky manual writers and marketing teams :) ) would be to pop a message box after the successful install of the usb drivers saying "Com* created for use by PICED" or something along those lines.

Rob

11. Mouserdrip15

Darren Senior Member

In the PICED Help file, there is a section on the PAC. In this section there is a topic called "Transferring a project to the unit". There is a sentence in there saying "To transfer, first connect your PC to the PAC via the supplied USB cable. The USB driver should recognise the fact that the PAC has been connected and a "virtual" serial port will be created. This allows the PICED software to use the USB as if it was another serial port. To find which serial port number has been allocated for the USB, open the Windows Device Manager..."

The new version of the Help File elaborates on this to clarify it further.

Darren, Sep 1, 2005
Ask a Question