Outside PIR - Different case

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Dowelly, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Dowelly

Dowelly

I wonder if someone could please help me with question I have regarding the outside PIR sensor - the code I have is E5750WPL - might be the european model code though.

The Outdoor PIR sensor isn't exactly attractive and as such I am wondering whether there is another option. If not does anyone know of a company that can supply a different case - brushed steel would be ideal, but not fussy - just anything more modern than the current design.

Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dowelly

Dowelly, Sep 19, 2007
  2. Dowelly

Darpa

There are a few different designs of external PIR's on the market, you would just need to connect one of them to a Bus Coupler. Here's a few examples:

http://www.diynot.com/shop/GJD_Opal_XL_External_PIR_Sensor/20245
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+1001827
    (4th & 5th from the bottom of the page)
    http://www.gardinersecurity.co.uk/pdf/catalogues/intruder_2007_part_1.pdf
    I'm sure you'll be able to find more if you're determined enough, these are just a few results I found in under a minute on the net :)

Regards,
    Darpa

Darpa, Sep 20, 2007
  3. Dowelly

Dowelly

Darpa,

thanks for that info. I hope you don't mind but I have a couple of questions for you on the back of your comments. Apologies if I am being completely thick but very new to this game....

Just built a new build house and have specced cat5 cable to 3 points on the outside of the house to attach a cbus pir to - not realising that they weren't very attractive. From reading the bus coupler docs it appears as though the cat5 wire attaches to the coupler and then to my cbus network, but will the cat5 attach to the pirs you have mentioned??? cheap pirs I have bought need a mains power to be attached to it.

I am assuming that the bus coupler does not send power to the pir???

A bist lost - sorry.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Dowelly

Dowelly, Sep 20, 2007
  4. Dowelly

Darpa

You're not thick at all Dowelly :)

Several of the PIRs I have used as examples in my previous post are designed for security purposes OTHER than security lighting, such as triggering recording of security cameras, alarm systems, etc. (So their outputs do not supply mains voltage)
    Instead, these PIRs have voltage-free relays in them, meaning that if you connected two wires to the PIR, one to the Common terminal, and the other to either the NO or NC (Normally Open or Normally Closed) contact (preferably the NO contact), and the other end of the wire to the "1" and the "C" next to the 1 terminal (for example) on the Bus Coupler, then you would have effectively turned the non-CBus PIR into one that is now a part of your CBus network.

A few things to be aware of:
    - The wire between your PIR and Bus Coupler can be no longer than 1 metre (~40 Inches). Unfortunately, this means you will need one Bus Coupler per PIR, as I doubt that you will have two PIRs within 2 "wiring metres" of each other.
    - Do not connect any power source into the wiring between the PIR and Bus Coupler, however, you will need to provide power to the PIR's power supply terminals, usually 12v DC or 24v AC. Very rarely do these non-lighting PIRs use mains power to directly power them.
    - It is important to keep segregation between mains wiring and the wiring to the Bus Coupler. If your PIR uses mains power, I would recommend avoiding using it with a Bus Coupler, or using double-insulated wiring between the PIR and Bus Coupler, as well as making sure that the terminals within the PIR are isolated from one another, to prevent mains power from ever being able to short or arc-out into the wiring to the Bus Coupler.

So, for example, lets say that inside your PIR, you have 5 terminals,
    +
    -
    C
    NO
    NC
    (This is the standard for most normal security system PIRs).
    In this case, you would connect a power source (most likely 12v DC, but check the PIR's instructions for clarification) to the + and - terminals
    Then using 2 wires, (standard speaker wire or "bell wire" is fine) connect one wire to the "C" (common) terminal on the PIR, and the other end of that wire to the "C" terminal on the Bus Coupler. Then connect the other wire to the NO terminal on the PIR, and the other end of this second wire to the "1" terminal on the Bus Coupler.

I hope this helps make things a bit clearer for you.

For more detailed information on the Bus Coupler, have a look at the following:
    Product Page
    Bus Coupler DataSheet
    Bus Coupler Installation Instructions

Regards,
    Darpa

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2007
    Darpa, Sep 20, 2007
  5. Dowelly

znelbok

If you want to use your existing PIR's that are 240V powered, then you will need an intermediate relay between it and the bus coupler. THe relay will give you a voltage free contact for the bus coupler. The relay replaces the light that would normally be attached to the PIR.

maintain segregation as indicated.

Mick

znelbok, Sep 21, 2007
  6. Dowelly

Lucky555

You could also run a cable from each PIR back to a central location and use a 5104AUX (4 channel aux input unit) this unit allows cable runs longer than the bus coupler and is probably the way to go in any case.

I think Darpa works for Clipsal or is getting some sort of commission or kick back :eek: by the indication that you should buy a bus coupler per PIR... :D :p :D

Lucky555, Sep 21, 2007
  7. Dowelly

Darpa

I WISH Lucky!!!

Note to Clipsal personnel: Kickbacks and commissions are most welcome :p

Darpa, Sep 22, 2007
  8. Dowelly

Dowelly

Guys thanks for all your help.

Just to follow your threads a bit further. At present only cat5 cable can connect to the pir on the outside of the house. Will the cbus power supply be able to supply enough power to the PIRs?? Or have I made a huge mistake and need to connect a power source via alternative cabling??? I hope not as not sure how I can do that. Unless of course I could use a battery powered pir??

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards

Dowelly

Dowelly, Sep 22, 2007
  9. Dowelly

paulw11

Use the Aux (Luke)

Hi,

If you use the Aux module as Lucky suggested then you should be able to use the existing Cat-5 cable - One pair for the sensor contacts and at least one pair for 12V supply to the PIR.

Paul

paulw11, Sep 23, 2007
Ask a Question