Outside CBus Keypad, security issue?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ingo, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Ingo

Ingo

Hi,

I have a NEO keypad on my patio(covered), I was thinking of a possible security issue if someone clever opened the box and connected their own unit to scan my network. I thought of using a relay to cut either one or both of the power/data wires running to the keypad when the alarm is enabled. This will disconnect the keypad and ensure that no one can connect to my home network when I'm not there. When the alarm is disabled I then reconnect it and have full functionality back again. Is there a better way to protect an outside CBUS unit or is this acceptable?

Thanks,
    Ingo

Ingo, Jan 23, 2007
  2. Ingo

mattfurlong

This is getting excessive, but could you add a reed switch to the unit to act as a tamper switch? On tamper, it could cut power/data to your Neo until such time that you re-activate it yourself later. That way you could still turn lights on/off whether your alarm was armed or not. But, like I say .. probably a tad excessive :)

mattfurlong, Jan 23, 2007
  3. Ingo

Josh

How about installing a PIR in the patio?

Josh, Jan 23, 2007
  4. Ingo

PSC

How about a big black dog? ;)

PSC, Jan 23, 2007
  5. Ingo

Phoneman

Good point

It does however raise a good point. There are quite a few installs with PIR's installed on the front of a garage etc.

Probably goes with the argument that Minder is not really an alarm and that one shouldn't combine security with CBus touch screens as I was going to do in the shed.

Phoneman, Jan 23, 2007
  6. Ingo

Ingo

The PIR is a better option than the dog, the dog requires daily maintenance - soft stuff all over the lawn... :)

I think my initial idea will work, when the gardener does the lawn I don't want him to put lights on and off. We all know people... very inquisitive creatures.

Ingo, Jan 23, 2007
  7. Ingo

Phil.H

Why black ???

Phil.H, Jan 23, 2007
  8. Ingo

BSS

Pigmentally challenged dog might be a better choice :confused:

BSS, Jan 23, 2007
  9. Ingo

NickD Moderator

Wouldn't black be pigmentally *gifted*?

Anyway... I had similar concerns about running the network to outside locations when doing my place.. I was planning on avoiding this by using a bus coupler and only bring the switch wires down to the switch in my carport which is open to the street... that said I had overlooked the fact that the 5753's are also exposed... at least they're up a bit higher.

I personally wouldn't be too worried about the crook who is going to start sniffing traffic on your C-Bus network.. at the end of the day, if anyone's that hell bent on getting into your house they'll smash through a window (or a sliding glass patio door like they did at my last place).

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2007
    NickD, Jan 23, 2007
  10. Ingo

Duncan

I couldn't make my mind up personally.. Black dog? white dog? I ended up with an each way bet..

[​IMG]

I got a black dog with white patches.

Duncan, Jan 23, 2007
  11. Ingo

Duncan

Perhaps you're getting paranoid? What are the chances, really of the switch being pulled off and someone plugging in a PCI or similar and doing something? And what could they do anyway? turn a light off and on? They certainly couldnt disarm the security system.. If you're that concerned for your security and the potential for this to happen maybe remove the switch from outside and put a bus coupler in a more secure location inside the cavity and a hardware switch outside.. There's a limit on how far the coupler can be from the actual switches, its not a big distance, but enough to tuck the coupler away somewhere in the wall.

What you;'ve suggested is probably the best solution if you really are concerned and need a full functioning Neo outside.. but bear in mind that when you switch the unit back in the Bus might take a second or two to re-stabilise so when you disarm the security system you might want to make switching the relay to re-enable the outside switch the last thing you do..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2007
    Duncan, Jan 23, 2007
  12. Ingo

Newman

At the very least make sure you're using the keypad disable feature of the Neo so that the buttons on the unit don't do anything when your alarm is armed.

If you want to go with the Bus Coupler idea (which is a good idea) but cable length is an issue (1m for Bus Coupler) then you can use a DIN Aux Input unit. These allow much longer wiring runs for remote contacts.

If you're after a "belt-and-braces" solution, a remotely-mounted DIN Aux Input unit wired to external switches with relays in series with the switch connections to the unit would be the most robust solution.

Newman, Jan 24, 2007
  13. Ingo

Ingo

Hmm... all valid points. I'll think about all of them and when it comes to installation time I'll test a couple of them.

Ingo, Jan 24, 2007
  14. Ingo

PSC

Because black is the "in" colour this season, that's all :p

PSC, Jan 24, 2007
  15. Ingo

Josh

I thought that was white with black patches. :confused:
    I guess it all depends on how you look at :cool:

Josh, Jan 25, 2007
  16. Ingo

Phoneman

Black/White - White/Black

Now if you could program it so the black switches to white and the white to black, that would be very cool!

Phoneman, Jan 25, 2007
  17. Ingo

ICS-GS

Ask and you shall receive.

breadcrumbs.jpg

ICS-GS, Jan 25, 2007
Ask a Question