Outdoor safe NEO?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Phoneman, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Phoneman

Phoneman

Has anyone tried to effectively laminate the housing of a NEO before putting the keypad and cover over it so it can be used in an Alfresco situation? I guess the trick would be some gladwrap all the way around it so the elements won't have so much fun! I should have tried it before I sold off my neo's.

Any thoughts

Phoneman, Jan 17, 2007
  2. Phoneman

2SC

2SC, Jan 17, 2007
  3. Phoneman

znelbok

Unfortunately that thread has no real answers.

I too am looking at putting a key input (Saturn) in an outdoor area that is covered. I don't think a condom is going to be accepted by the boss.

Mick

znelbok, Jan 17, 2007
  4. Phoneman

tobex

My client has a keyinput module and a generic pushbutton switch. Works fine. The module is safely stored indoors and the wiring goes to the waterproof box.

tobex, Jan 17, 2007
  5. Phoneman

2SC

Condoms are not the solution (at least for this application)

I am copying Darpa's answer:
    Is "style" and "fashionability" a major requirement in this situation? or would you be able to get away with putting the Neo inside one of those weatherproof enclosures designed for putting standard GPO's, etc, in outdoor areas? (Clipsal Cat No. 255)

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND>http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=682&stc=1&d=1161008936

</FIELDSET>

Your solution Tobex is fine if you don't want to use the remote control capabilities of neo.

2SC, Jan 18, 2007
  6. Phoneman

tobex

For remote control I would use a IR detection module behind a special plastic panel. In any event IR outdoors suffers from solar and optical interference. The range and function is greatly affected. Hence I am not confident that the operation would be reliable at all hours of the day.

Depending on whether the Neo uses classical IR signal or IrDA then there are more than enough solutions from Clipsal and Channel Plus to handle IR retransmission as a unique problem.

I have installed switches near pool steps. You really need something waterproof there.

tobex, Jan 18, 2007
  7. Phoneman

2SC

Condoms are not the solution (at least for this application) II

<TABLE class=tborder id=post14476 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- / user info -->Still copying from the same thread... <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2872&page=2&highlight=WATERPROOFF
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_14476><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->
    NorthUK_CBUS_Sales_Eng:<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Why not try a Wireless Neo switch and Rf remote instead of IR?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2SC, Jan 18, 2007
  8. Phoneman

JohnC

I can't see why the idea of the membrane cover in that other thread isn't OK.

The one shown is a European (square pattern) size, but apparently they have other sizes.

[​IMG]

There is also a product named "Mosaic" from Le-(cough)-Grand that is suitable. It's a cover-type thingy IP55 with a membrane, code 680633

I would say that most of the major "overseas" bakelite suppliers will have similar products available.

JohnC, Jan 19, 2007
Ask a Question