OT - Fan/light needed

Discussion in 'Standard Products' started by znelbok, Aug 16, 2007.

1. znelbok

znelbok

Not a CIS product related question, but I figure its about lighting and someone here should be able to help.

I am looking for a combination fan light for the bathroom and ensuite. So far all I can find is some plastic thing from Arlec, IXL and Heller. There is also another brand that looks the same as the heller unit. None of them appeal to me at all.

I found a few in the US that look half decent in comparison. eg Broan Decorative, but you can understand we cant just use them here. SOme of them have night lights as well which is a great idea.

Does anyone know of any manufacturers that make a decent bathroom fan light combination.

Thanks

Mick

znelbok, Aug 16, 2007
  2. znelbok

Newman

Clipsal have a few models here but from the sounds of it you're looking for something more stylish.

Newman, Aug 16, 2007
  3. znelbok

Matthew

re: Fan/light needed

G'day Mick
    I've used a Luminair RLM100 from Vent Axia. It is small and neat with a 20w LV dichroic lamp in the centre. In the end it still looks like a fan & light but nothing like all the others in the market. Also both fan & light are 12V & it is IPrated for wet areas. You can find them in Bunnings (~$250) and on a local website not mentioned much around here!
    picture http://www.vent-axia.com/products/domestic/luminair.asp
    Cheers!
    Matthew

Matthew, Dec 3, 2007
  4. znelbok

Conformist

I agree... these are great units. I installed one in the bathroom 9 years ago and have been running both the fan and the light from a C-Bus dimmer (yea i know... should have the fan on a relay, but it's been fine on the dimmer and I only had dimmer channels available). You can also buy these through electrical wholesalers as the Australian distributor is (was?) the other major electrical accessories mob in Australia

Conformist, Dec 3, 2007
  5. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks Guys

I saw some of these on a UK site in my travels but found nothing here - much appreciated.

How well does it light up the room? I know it basically a down light.

I was resigning my self to buying a US fan light and re-wiring it for 240 and then run the light on a dimmer and the fan from a relay with a 110V tranny in the system. Might not have to now.

Thanks

znelbok, Dec 3, 2007
  6. znelbok

Matthew

It throws light down!!

G'day again
    It does throw most of the light down and does a bit of scallopping on the wall, but over the throne is where you want the light!!
    I suggest locate it centrally and use a wide angle 60 degree (FNV) type 20W lamp to minimise it. I use the Magnetic Tx it comes with for the fan & use an electronic Tx for the lamp (set only to 80% which is plenty of light for a small room) to control them seperately. It does take a dimmer & relay channel but then you can stick a timer on the fan. If you have a logic engine you can even program the fan not to come on during the night!
    cheers
    Matthew

Matthew, Dec 4, 2007
  7. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks Matt

The throne room is small enough that it was not going to be a problem. I was more thinking about it in the bathroom and ensuite which are slightly larger. A 20W light may not cut it there.
    I already have the relay and dimmer channels wired to the rooms - just trying to find a fitting that is suitable.

Mick

znelbok, Dec 4, 2007
  8. znelbok

JohnC

Why not separate the lights and fan? That way, you don't need to compromise.

I usually put 3 or 4 circuits in a bathroom. 1 fan, 2 separate overhead lighting schemes and another one for the mirror. We often do uplighting or soft lighting scenes as well, as there is nothing worse than lying in the bath looking up into a downlight.

JohnC, Feb 11, 2008
  9. znelbok

znelbok

The roof structure is very limiting (for the fan) in one of the rooms, so a combined units is well suited (basically where you would put the light is the only place the fan can go unless it is over the shower itself!!).

I have three circuits now, Fan , Light and mirror for the en suite and fan and light for the main bath. Tub is not big enough to relax in (1500mm) - mainly there as a tool for cleaning young kids.

The reason for a combined was to create symmetry that is not achievable with using separates. The fans also end up in a good location due to the symmetry as well.

znelbok, Feb 11, 2008
  10. znelbok

Charlie Crackle

How about IXL Tastic.. Fan Light and Heat in 1 unit.

I have the fan and light on dimmer circuits and the heat lamps on 2 relay circuits so I can control the heat.

Not that pretty !

Charlie Crackle, Feb 12, 2008
  11. znelbok

znelbok

no not pretty at all. I have used one else where and don't like them at all. They got struck off the list very quickly

Thanks anyway

znelbok, Feb 13, 2008
Ask a Question