original cbus software

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by jonnyp64, Jun 20, 2017.

1. jonnyp64

jonnyp64

I need to service an existing installation which is using the old surface mounted relays and dimmers.
    The problem i am having is the old C-bus installation software-ver 2.7.10-will not load on my Windows 7 laptop. It does on my desktop which is still using Vista (!) 32 bit.
    i assume that it is a problem with Win 7 being 64 bit but am open to suggestions as to i can fix this.

jonnyp64, Jun 20, 2017
  2. jonnyp64

znelbok

Create a virtual machine running XP. Use VMWare Player on your laptop when on site to run the VM and connect as you would normally.

Virtual machines are the savior of all old software

znelbok, Jun 20, 2017
  3. jonnyp64

ashleigh Moderator

VM is the right approach.

I have Win7 - 64 bit - running old 32 bit software that was only compatible with Windows 95. Not in a VM.

It can be done but you probably need to experiment with these:

1. Try running the installer as administrator (single click the installer EXE, then right click and select "run as administrator")

2. If you can get an install done, you may have issues running the program. If so navigate to the directory where it has been installed, find the exe file(s), right click, and select the compatibility options. Change the compatibility to compatible with Windows XP.

This approach sorts out 99% of all such issues without need for a VM.

ashleigh, Jun 21, 2017
  4. jonnyp64

Conformist

I still have old surface mount dimmers and relays in my house. Current toolkit works fine with them. Have you tried to use?

Conformist, Jun 21, 2017
  5. jonnyp64

jonnyp64

The problem was that i was using the latest version of Toolkit, in fact i downloaded it the night before i went out. A quick call to CIS and they confirmed that all versions of TK are backwards compatible with the older gear,except for the current one!! They suggested that i try version 1.11.12, i did and it worked first go!! Pain in the butt though having this old version now on my laptop-i might look through the posts and see if you can have two versions on one machine at once.

jonnyp64, Jun 29, 2017
  6. jonnyp64

Ashley

Interesting development. Anyone know anything about this?

Ashley, Jun 30, 2017
  7. jonnyp64

NickD Moderator

Without wanting to contradict tech support, I'm not aware of any intentional removal of support for older gear... there IS a backward compatibility issue with C-Gate, but that's a completely separate issue.

I have just installed Toolkit 1.15.1 and the 5104D750 (I assume this is the older dimmer you are talking about) is still in the catalogue... I don't have one handy to try and scan though.

In what way does it not work? Does it fail to load?

Nick

NickD, Jun 30, 2017
  8. jonnyp64

Ashley

So I just tried it with toolkit 1.15.1 and it programs both the old 5104D750 dimmer and 5104RVF relay just fine.

Care to elucidate Nick?

Ashley, Jun 30, 2017
  9. jonnyp64

NickD Moderator

Something to do with the SSL connection between Toolkit and C-Gate I think... you just need to use the latest C-Gate with the latest TK.

NickD, Jun 30, 2017
  10. jonnyp64

jonnyp64

Yes, that is the dimmer. The problem i had using 1.15.1 was that i could not connect to the network, no matter what i tried. As i said, after rolling back to 1.11.12 it connected first go.

jonnyp64, Jun 30, 2017
  11. jonnyp64

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Ah, it seems the problem may not be with the surface mount units in Toolkit 1.15.1 but in making the initial connection to your gateway unit. It'd be worth contacting CIS again with the details of your gateway (PCI? CNI?) and the error you are seeing.

daniel, Jul 14, 2017
  12. jonnyp64

jonnyp64

The problem turned out to be with the 232 cable that i was using. I did contact CIS and they advised me to get the Dontronics one and it works great with 1.15.1. As i said in another post, i could have done worse than read the sticky on here about this very subject!!

jonnyp64, Jul 17, 2017
Ask a Question