Ordering Matrix Switch with AM Radio FIX

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Charlie Crackle, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Charlie Crackle

Roosta

I would suspect the answer to that is no Charlie Crackle..

My answer is only due to the level of difficulty it took to get the Upgraded tuner board, surely if the new units had been updated it would have been suggested to me to just swap units over?

Cheers..

Roosta, Apr 15, 2013
  2. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Are the new switchers shipping with the AM radio fix yet ??

Have a retro fit project where cbus audio would be a good solution but don't want to if the AM radio issues is not shipping yet.

Charlie Crackle, Nov 8, 2013
  3. Charlie Crackle

Roosta

Just installed a replacement matrix into a job and the tuner card design has definately changed.. Pics below of old (bottom) and new (top)..

You can view the card via the air holes in the top of the matrix unit..

[​IMG]

Roosta, May 1, 2014
  4. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

That's great news

I am interested to know if they updated the instructions in the box.

Are you still required to cut the shield on the cable got AM reception.

I am also interested to know what signal strength you get as measured by the bar display on the front.

with a dedicated FM and AM loop and signal combiner..

With the old board I got 7 bars on FM (FM perfect) and 1 bar on AM (AM unusable)
    With the old board with manual fix this changed to 4 bars on FM and 3 bars on AM AM great. FM did drop in quality but still fine..

CIS

Can you buy this as a spare part ?? (So I can fix some of my upset customers ??) or can we just return the OLD matrix for RMA replacement.

One day a digital radio plug in upgrade board ??
    One day add AIRPLAY support as another audio input ??
    One day soon... Door bell issue fixed...... ??

Charles

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
    Charlie Crackle, May 1, 2014
  5. Charlie Crackle

Roosta

Instructions dont appear to have changed, still says to put the break in the coax shield , but i recall the break was meant to be close to the matrix, now it says 'at some point away from the matrix switcher and associated equipment'..

Reception wise, in this install orginally the radio feed was coming from the tv system, to get improved reception I have removed this and installed my own custom built antenna, which has vastly improved the reception on both AM and FM.. 7 bars reception on AM which previous was not listen-to-able is now almost crystal clear.. 5 bars reception on FM, again almost crystal clear.. Unsure what the previous matrix/card reception levels were.. If I hook the old antenna feed in signal drops right down and goes all staticky..

So far all good at this job.. I have another 'problem' site to go to and look at doing a similar thing at to try to improve AM, however this site is a little more remote and may not go as smoothly.. ;-)

Cheers..

Roosta, May 2, 2014
  6. Charlie Crackle

Don

Do not cut the shield of the coaxial cable with the new Tuner

The new tuner is designed to be driven with a 75 Ohm source. That's the characteristic impedance of intact coaxial feedlines for TV and commercial radio. This applied for both FM and AM bands.

The earlier tuner was suited for 75 Ohms for FM reception but required a higher impedance for the AM band. A solution was to cut the screen of the cable, but unfortunately that allowed noise sources near the tuner easy access to the tuner input and created poor performance in some installations.

With the new tuner, the bargraph works for both AM and FM, as previously it did not display sensible readings for AM if noise was present.

Don, May 5, 2014
  7. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Thanks.

Might want to update the instructions then.

Glad this issue is finally fixed. I can add the product back to the took kit. Just need that pesky door bell issue fixed.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, May 5, 2014
  8. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

wow.. what a difference this new RADIO circuit makes. Installed one AM very clean and crisp now... FM still great. Great job.

Just need the door bell issue fixed......

Charles

Charlie Crackle, May 20, 2014
Ask a Question