Options for outdoor sensor other than 5750WPL

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by CBusser, Feb 24, 2011.

1. CBusser

CBusser

Is the 5750WPL the only option for an outdoor motion sensor that works with CBUS?

I just cant believe that a product that is designed to work with Architect designed homes has only 1 unsightly looking product for outdoor sensoring

Please help, desperate :confused:

CBusser, Feb 24, 2011
  2. CBusser

Newman

You can use any motion sensor that has a dry contact output. You can then connect this output to a C-Bus Bus Coupler or Auxiliary Input Unit (depending upon isolation requirements). This gives you the freedom to use just about any sensor you choose.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011
    Newman, Feb 24, 2011
  3. CBusser

oracle

well if the requirement requires a weatherproof sensor - they will all be ugly no matter who's brand you use.

does it really have to be weatherproof ?? side of building exposed =yes

under shielded area like an eve etc = no

look at the light fittings attached to the same location and see if they are weatherproof?

oracle, Feb 25, 2011
  4. CBusser

71monaro

Would an indoor sensor such as a 5753L placed in ceiling of an entrance porch have any operational problems as a night time motion sensor, to turn on a courtesy light?

71monaro, Feb 25, 2011
  5. CBusser

Newman

There's an old thread discussing the use of indoor PIR's outdoors here.

Newman, Feb 25, 2011
  6. CBusser

71monaro

That thread highlights the design theory that the sensor is a visible theft deterant. But what about just the need to be a courtesy light? It wouldnt be so hard to release am IP rated version for in porchs.

71monaro, Feb 26, 2011
  7. CBusser

oracle

you can take into account all that thread mentioned above.

I have installed 5753 PIR in alot of outdoor situations and never had too much of a problem.

they are more prone to false triggering especially in high hot winds.
    I have had them installed for 7 + years at my own house under the eaves with zero issues.

so if you prefer something aesthetically i say use it. but if there are some adverse effects for using something out of it designed purpose there will be no comeback to the manufacturer,.

oracle, Feb 26, 2011
  8. CBusser

tobex

CCTV Camera >>>> Recorder >>>> Motion detection activated >>>> Relay >>>> C-Bus Analogue input >>> Reaction

I find that more of this type of work is now possible with cameras as much as it is with detectors. I guess you don't want this in the bedroom unless your name is Charlie Sheen.

tobex, Feb 27, 2011
  9. CBusser

SBL

Better security & integrity with dry contact method

Just as a point of interest we have often considered that there is a marginal security benefit and fault resiliance to using dry contacts interfacing with external sensors.

In that if a C-Bus outdoor sensor is used it means bringing the C-Bus network outside of the building shell, and potentially making it possible for somebody to connect onto it from outside. Depending on what is being done with C-Bus this may or may not be a major concern.

In terms of reliability, a short on a dry contacts cable would not affect much beyond the monitored circuit, whereas a short on a network cable could crash a whole network section.

SBL, Feb 27, 2011
Ask a Question