opening project after computer crash

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by zenzag, Sep 26, 2012.

1. zenzag

zenzag

Hi.

Silly me. Didn't have an export/backup of my project and my PC crashed.

The project is still accessible on a network share but I can't just 'open' it from my new install of the toolkit.

Are there any tools (or anyone) available to help?

TIA

zenzag, Sep 26, 2012
  2. zenzag

jboer

Hey,

What errors are you getting? Make sure that the project isn't a backup and you need to import it in to toolkit.

jboer, Sep 26, 2012
  3. zenzag

zenzag

No errors, can't 'open' the project.

Original computer crashed :mad: I don't have a backup/export of my project.

New computer now has toolkit installed but there is no open.

I have access to the files - *.dbf, *.mdx, *.tag etc. but can do nothing with them with toolkit.

zenzag, Sep 26, 2012
  4. zenzag

jboer

You need to make sure that your project database file <ProjectName>.xml is located in your C-Gate directory: C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\tag as this is where toolkit looks for the projects

However I am unsure what you have as I don't recognize those file types as database project files. Maybe someone else can help with that? I was wondering if it was an old form of database files?

jboer, Sep 26, 2012
  5. zenzag

zenzag

yes, it is an old version. last used 3 years or so ago.

what is the upgrade process for old projects?

zenzag, Sep 26, 2012
  6. zenzag

Newman

When you install a version of Toolkit that requires to upgrade the project data files it prompts you to do this the first time you use the project that is in the old format. This works well when you install a new version of Toolkit and it works well when you import a project that has been properly backed up and restored. Your situation, where you don't have a formal Toolkit Backup but only have the old database files, is trickier to handle.

I would try installing the version of Toolkit that you were originally using. All the old versions can be downloaded from the Toolkit website. Once you get that successfully reading your old project files then install a newer version of Toolkit over the top, which will prompt you to upgrade your project files.

If you had a formal backup of your Toolkit Project, using the Backup feature from the file menu, the latest Toolkit would have been able to import and use this file straight away.

Newman, Sep 26, 2012
  7. zenzag

Michael

Old old version of C-Bus Software

The file extensions you have given suggest that you might have been working with the C-Bus V2 software.
    The latest versions of C-Bus Toolkit no longer have the feature to upgrade projects of that age, however all is not lost.

Tech Support will deal with installing the correct versons of software on their PC's and upgrade the project for you.

Give them a call and they will sort things out.......

Cheers,

Michael, Sep 28, 2012
  8. zenzag

zenzag

Many thanks to all of you for your assistance.

I did a bit more research and had a rummage around and found an *.XML file that belongs to the project I was looking for. I had also renamed the project which accounted for my confusion.

I have copied the *.XML file to the tag folder and upgraded it and lo and behold I have access to my project again.

Thanks once again for your help.

zenzag, Sep 30, 2012
Ask a Question