OPC Server access issue

Discussion in 'C-Bus OPC Server Software' started by p0rt3r, May 27, 2012.

1. p0rt3r

p0rt3r

Hello!

I have the box running the Windows 7 SP1 x32, CBus OPC Server 1.3.2 installed, Toolkit 1.11.10 as well. When I try to connect to the server with the sample Softing OPC Client (which shipped along with the opc server), I get the message "access denied" (exactly, I have localized error string, but the value is like that). The OPC server and OPC client both reside on the same machine. The included help file tells a lot about configuration for remote network connection. What configurations should I make to get all working on the single machine without client-server network usage?

p0rt3r, May 27, 2012
  2. p0rt3r

p0rt3r

When I started OPC client with administator rights (Run as administrator in Win 7), it could connect to the server. But this can hardly be the workaround. Need suggestions addressing this issue.
    By the way, one more question: what value preferably should be send to the opc tag to set the corresponding lighting group to ON state: 1, 100 or 255? Assuming the lighting group is on the relay channel, not dimmer.

p0rt3r, May 27, 2012
  3. p0rt3r

DarrenH

Hello there.

Was the Softing OPC Client installed by the same user account that is trying to use it, or a different administrator account?

At what point does the "access denied" error appear? Was it when you launch the Softing OPC Client or when you try to connect to the C-Bus OPC Server?

Regarding the lighting group ON state for a relay, 255 would be correct.

DarrenH, May 29, 2012
  4. p0rt3r

p0rt3r

Hello!

All software (OPC server, toolbox) was installed under the same account with admin rights. The access error appears when I try to connect to the server, not at the client start. This was checked also with one more OPC client, got the same error "access denied".

p0rt3r, May 29, 2012
  5. p0rt3r

p0rt3r

So what to do with the lack of admin rights? Am I the only who face this issue?

p0rt3r, Jun 5, 2012
  6. p0rt3r

Goran C Forum Member

We have currently not had any other complaints about this issue. It sounds like the OPC Server needs to have a change of security permissions.

Please go to the Control Panel | System and Security | Administrative Tools | Component Services

Then select Console Root | Component Services | Computers | My Computer | DCOM Config

The right click "C-Bus <-> OPC Data Access Server" and select Properties. This dialog provides a number of security and access priveledge options which will most likely help resolve your issue.

Please let us know if this solution works so that other forum users can benefit.

Goran C, Jun 7, 2012
  7. p0rt3r

p0rt3r

Hello!

I've tried several options. First, on the C-Bus <-> OPC Data Access Server -> Properties the option "Authentication" was set to "No" (or "None", "Absent", I have localized strings for that). After that the local account was added to the "DCOM users" group. One more step was to manually add current account to the C-Bus <-> OPC Data Access Server -> Security tab and to allow it both local and remote connection. Nothing helped. OPC client gets the error "access denied" on the connection. When started with the admin rights, all is fine.
    Looking for the solution.

p0rt3r, Jun 12, 2012
  8. p0rt3r

Goran C Forum Member

The next suggestion would be to go into the properties again select the Identity tab then click the "This User" radio button to activate the user and password fields. Enter your username and password and click OK. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

If this does not resolve your problem, please consult the C-Bus OPC Server Help and look at the "Configuring DCOM for OPC Messaging" section.

If you need further assistance please contact the official Clipsal C-Bus Technical Support.

Goran C, Jun 14, 2012
  9. p0rt3r

p0rt3r

Hello!

The problem has been fixed. The last advice helped. "Identity" tab -> This user -> local user login and pass. Nothing else was altered. Thanks to everyone.

p0rt3r, Jun 20, 2012
Ask a Question