Ok. Get ready for some "prickly" questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wappinghigh, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wappinghigh

DaleS

I understand what the purpose of the website it, and that Clipsal have not given it their official blessing, or said it is an official conduit for info (which is all fine).

However this site is a place where people should be able to see first hand what the typical problems people encounter are (which is what I've been commenting on).

Maybe I should see that Clipsal's website is out of date (btw I did a search and saw that Windows 7 came out in October 2009 - over two years ago), and just call them instead for information about what the current capabilities are.
    However I see such an out of date website as a sign of a company that doesn't care - their process/management needs serious updating, and eventually this reflects back onto their software. Perhaps it is unjustified, but I don't think that anyone should expect people to see Clipsal's website and think "dynamic management!".

DaleS, Dec 7, 2011
  2. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Yes they really should be a little bit more specific with the details of the driver....As more and more users are going to want to fine tune their logic (and power management is a good example of a need for this) really its about time CIS puts a little bit more end user friendly info on this website, or better still allows some of these chnges to be made "on the fly" via a browser...

wappinghigh, Dec 7, 2011
  3. wappinghigh

DarylMc

This guy is running an Apple but complaining it's too hard to start Piced to change a schedule.
    Someone kill this thread please.

DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  4. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Excuse me? Are you referring to me here?

I run around 8-10 computers at my place. OSX leopard, OSX lion, Win vista. Win 7.....and a 48 port managed switch.....

wappinghigh, Dec 7, 2011
  5. wappinghigh

DarylMc

Yes
    Well considering all that hardware are you really finding it that hard to change a schedule?

DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  6. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Please go back and read my OP. I simply want to make it easier and faster to make small changes. I'm suggesting a better interface for this would be via http web browser access. That's all :)

wappinghigh, Dec 7, 2011
  7. wappinghigh

DarylMc

I agree.
    But I'm sure Clipsal has considered it and I do trust that there are some people there who know what they're doing.

DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  8. wappinghigh

DarylMc

DaleS
    If you are not sure where to start with your new CBus devices maybe start another thread and if you havent already done so I would recommend the basic CBus course to get you going with the hardware and software.
    Or at least downloading and reading it from here http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technic...ing2/cbus_control_and_management_system/basic
    If you search the forums you will see some problems and solutions for 64 bit Windows users from the past if you are worried about that.
    I dont think there are any problems at all right now but I have never used 64 bit Windows.
    As far as I know the only problems have been getting Windows to accept the driver for USB connections and there have always been ways around it but use the forum or tech support if you have any issues.
    Since you already have some hardware you may as well just install Toolkit and start.
    You won't need loads just a Cbus unit with a built in power supply, some key inputs, a network burden and a Cbus interface of some sort (USB, RS232 or CNI).
    Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
    DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  9. wappinghigh

DarylMc

In defence of the Clipsal website presence, I am sure they would prefer that it was installed and programmed by people who had some training or experience and hopefully result in a more reliable and functional outcome.
    But in any case the software is free and readily available to download and use.

DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  10. wappinghigh

Conformist

I've been reading the posts here with interest. Would you be happy to pay $1800 for comissioning software that takes about 2 hours to scan an average network? This is the alternative of some systems! I'm not saying the software, drivers or website are perfect but... please don't whinge about something that is free and can be downloaded by an end-user to make changes to their system without being forced to pay or do training. If I had to toss up between putting resources into developing new software platforms (this includes extensive testing) or spending the budget on new products, then I know where the money should go....

There are a heap of developments on the go and they cater for a global market for commercial and residential needs. The free comissioning software is important but commands no return on the investment.....

Please ladies and gentlemen, let's move on. I would love to see some genuine suggestions for new inovation to get the juices flowing.

Conformist, Dec 7, 2011
  11. wappinghigh

DarylMc

Wappinghigh
    My apologies about the Apple thing.
    I was assuming your problems were all coming from a dislike of using Windows.

DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  12. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

The OP did not know any of the details of what goes on inside.

The s/w does not only run on XP. It runs on all major OS versions. Clipsal / Schnieder have an OFFICIAL SUPPORT POLICY which has not been updated for a long time which states that XP is a supported platform, others are not. That does not mean it won't run (it does).

The support policy needs to be updated. Everything else is merely a diversion.

The s/w can't be ported to the likes of Eclipse - which is completely irrelevant to the issue. It is written in a modern language with an up to date development environment. It already has a separated front end and back end.

ashleigh, Dec 7, 2011
  13. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

*Sigh* The trouble is - what you want to do sounds reasonable for a domestic installation. Its completely *unreasonable* for a commercial installation where things need to be locked down to prevent accidental or malicious changes.

These two things pull in opposite directions and you will never satisfy everyone all the time.

ashleigh, Dec 7, 2011
  14. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

Thank you Conformist.

Can I wrap this thread up please?

Its turned in a mostly poorly-informed whinge session. Whilst fine and dandy for getting grizzles off your chest it becomes tiresome after a while.

PLEASE: Constructive comments here from now on. If any more whining, I'll close the thread. Its boring.

A FINAL NOTE TO CLIPSAL STAFF WHO MIGHT COME PAST: If there is one thing this thread has highlighted it is that the official support policy for Windows Operating Systems needs to be updated. It is clearly very out of date. Windows 7 obviously works, and is now ubiquitous. How about updating the support statement on the web site so people can have a better understanding of what is supported?

Thank you and good night.

ashleigh, Dec 7, 2011
  15. wappinghigh

NickD Moderator

As trivial as it may sound...

IIRC, from the discussions back in 200x, one of the requirements to claim Windows7 compatibility (or maybe it was when Vista came out) was that all user data be placed in the correct directories.

As trivial as it may sound, it wasn't, and I believe this was one of the reasons we couldn't actually make this claim. I agree that the compatibility statements on the website could be updated to give a bit more info on the difference between stuff working (which it does) and being "compliant" (which technically it probably isn't).

And as for the website - you are all preaching to the converted. We know it's an embarrassment, but we (the C-Bus engineers and developers who frequent this forum) have no power to do anything about it, so we focus on what we can do stuff about.. the products.

Nick

NickD, Dec 8, 2011
  16. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Gee...I'm so sorry for pointing this out!

Come on! Please.

I was not winging. And what I said was very constructive. I say again, go back and read the original post. Just explain to me why these aren't "genuine suggestions"?

The facts are

1/ your website is not helpful (as now has been acknowledged by a well respected member of this forum)
    2/ There is no decent information about Win7 compatibility
    3/ As more and more end users will want to tweek their systems, and make small changes for things like power management, they will want easier access into PICED to do this. And all I was saying was http browser access may be a very convenient, quick and easy way to do this: and could be secure with password protection. So just please explain to me why these comments are not constructive. And also explain again why supporting end users (on the software development side) to make it simpler for them to do this, isn't a thing that CIS should be spending financial resources on. Good Software interfaces are THE very thing customers want. Look at WISER. It's great! Hasn't this taught you guys anything? Good products also need even better and easy to use software. What do you mean "free software commands no ROI"? This is rubbish. The whole cbus product is based on software! You wouldn't have a cbus product without software. If you don't like it being fee, then charge us for something better. You might be surprised. We might actually buy it off you. Sure. I don't know the in's and out's of why http browser access into PICED might be difficult or expensive for you to do. But this doesn't mean it's not genuinely a good idea. The facts are current access into PICED is problematic. It could be smoother and more problem free. And it does seem to me outdated...When was the last update to it's GUI? It looks like something I used to run on a WIn95 machine. That was nearly 20 years ago. Are you telling me it wouldn't be worth spending money to upgrade the GUI and ease of use of PICED?

Please don't lecture me about your products and how I use them. I'm one of your customers for goodness sake..

Give me a break...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    wappinghigh, Dec 8, 2011
  17. wappinghigh

Newman

Righto chaps, that's enough. Can we please move on to something else.

Newman, Dec 8, 2011
Ask a Question