Ok. Get ready for some "prickly" questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wappinghigh, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wappinghigh

Robbo_VIC

They should be able to, if your port forwarding is done correctly. They can simply make the programming changes from the office then upload it remotely to the Wiser and within a few minutes its back up and running with your new changes.

Robbo_VIC, Nov 29, 2011
  2. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Robbo...

They can do this with the wiser. But not the PAC. :)

wappinghigh, Nov 29, 2011
  3. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

All depends on your point of view.

Putting PACs in a commercial building and allowing remote reprogramming is probably a very bad idea.

ashleigh, Nov 29, 2011
  4. wappinghigh

znelbok

Was my first thought as well. I think the connection to the USB ports stops the code from being processed, or is that just when PICED has made a connection.

Not sure hwat VM software you are using, but I use USB dongles with VM's here all the time. I have three rainbow USB dongles for three guests on the one ESXi server.
    I have used VMware Workstation, ESXi, server and player and all support USB just fine.
    ESXi and server allw you to specifiy whcih USB device is to be used by the guest.

Not sure why more ethernet ports are required either (if you mean on the VM host) - one will do the job

Mick

znelbok, Nov 29, 2011
  5. wappinghigh

ARC JB

USB connection

To the best of my knowledge, connecting the USB will not stop the logic from running. BUT when you connect to the project or C-Bus it will as it then changes to CNI mode where it works in 'transparent mode'. So leaving the usb connected should not cause an issue as long as you disconnect from the network once you have finished.
    It would be wise to then check that your logic is running again, so being onsite would be a good idea.

I too have had many a success running usb dongles without the need for additional hardware. I have found some larger commercial servers don't have that many ports, so it has been necessary in these instances.

:)

ARC JB, Nov 29, 2011
  6. wappinghigh

Charlie Crackle

Using Citrix XENSERVER not VMWARE XENSERVER does not do USB or SERIAL passthrough to the HOST. For good reasons. The virtual machines are running in a High Avaliability Pair. 2 Machines, 1 shared storage.
    if a machine fails the VM move to the other machine. If the USB is in the host machine and the VM fails over then the VM loses connectivity to the USB. having network USB fixes this issue.

Extra network port was for the USB network Device.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Nov 29, 2011
  7. wappinghigh

DarylMc

Hello Charlie Crackle
    That setup sounds pretty clever.
    Hopefully someone at CIS will consider your request to do away with the dongle.
    Homegate has worked well for me and given no trouble from XP to Windows7.
    I run some surveillance software, logic and schedules from a headless PC instead of the Colour Touch since it allows me to change them easily remotely.
    ServerX is set up but I find for a single user that remote desktop gives faster response and the ability to access from nearly any device I can think of.
    So I just copy the project for the CTC and remove the logic and schedules.
    It works so well I am reluctant to start playing with Wiser.
    I have a short video of RDP on iPhone if anyone is interested.

DarylMc, Nov 30, 2011
  8. wappinghigh

e-nstall

C-Bus driver install on WIN7 64 bit

e-nstall, Dec 6, 2011
  9. wappinghigh

DaleS

I've worked on software 10 years and older, and typically it's not that great.
    New software, new languages are helpful in producing better quality systems.

I can't say that I would be surprised that apparently no real dev work is being done on moving to newer platforms (an Eclipse or Visual Studio plugin for example), but I am, as ever, disappointed by companies that don't move with the times.

DaleS, Dec 6, 2011
  10. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

Yeah right. Remember Netscape syndrome. (Recap: "Yee-hah! Lets rewrite this pile of poo..." It took so long and cost so much and had so many bugs that any advantage in the market was gone. You had to be there in the early 1990's to see the devastating effect.) Rewriting anything from scratch in a new language or similar is a foolish move which takes 2-3 times longer than budgeted and introduces myriad new bugs, which piss off users, distract attention of developers, and usually ends in tears. Incremental improvements are usually far more successful.

For what its worth, PICED and similar programs are upwards of a million lines of code. Not a trivial undertaking to rewrite.

If you want to be HELPFUL, some constructive suggestions of improvements would be something that could actually be worked on.

Statements like "its tired so re-write it in a new language" are, frankly, unhelpful and made from a point of view of ignorance. Don't be surprised if nobody listens.

ashleigh, Dec 7, 2011
  11. wappinghigh

DaleS

I was there, and it was a disaster. Could be due to the fact that every single rewrite ever is always a failure, or that perhaps their management of the project was bad. Or something else. One example is not enough to demonstrate a trend.

Mostly I would agree, but sometimes it's better to do a rewrite. Especially if there is legacy code that is dependent on other vendors who are phasing out support. I came in on this conversation because the OP said your software really only works on XP. But see below for more...

I didn't say you had to rewrite it all - my suggestion is that the dev environment be ported to Eclipse or Visual Studio {Express}. At the very least it should be made to run on the latest versions of Windows.

The back end code could be isolated (I presume it already is, if not then my point is already made), and a new front end built. Would it be that hard? If it is still stuck on XP, what future does it have?

DaleS, Dec 7, 2011
  12. wappinghigh

DarylMc

But it does and has mostly worked without problems on all versions of Windows so what is your point.

DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  13. wappinghigh

DaleS

I haven't used it, but was replying to the OP. He had problems/questions about running on something other than XP.

A quick look at Clipsal's website for PICED says about software compatibility..

"Summary
    Clipsal software is tested on a range of operating systems including Windows Vista.
    The software operates and is supported on Vista, however it is not compliant with all of the requirements for Vista and is not expected to be fully compliant until at least late 2009.
    More Information
    Microsoft released Vista, the newest version of its Windows operating system, in January 2007. This is the most significant change to the Windows operating system since 1995 (11 years ago)."

So if Clipsal's own website doesn't say anything about Windows 7, and clearly hasn't been updated since at least 2009 what does this say about the maturity of their process? It's good that it runs with Vista, but how much?

People need a bit more assurance than "mostly worked" before spending thousands of dollars. Clipsal are in the best position to give that assurance, but clearly haven't been bothered doing it.

My point is that there doesn't seem to be much evidence of Clipsal updating their material for the present. The web site is further evidence of this.

[Edit]...

You say "mostly worked". Is there a list of what doesn't work? I couldn't find this on Clipsal's website.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
    DaleS, Dec 7, 2011
  14. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

We dont need quick and easy access to the full million lines of code!

Why does the code have to be re-written entirely?

99% of changes I want to make are tweeking scenes, fine tuning logic or adjusting scedules, that have already been written by the installer.

Why cant you just write a http browser interface to this code so that minor changes can be done by the end user? Or does this actually require a total re-write of PICED?

wappinghigh, Dec 7, 2011
  15. wappinghigh

DarylMc

Wappinghigh
    You are right in metioning the details on the Clipsal website with regard to Vista support.
    But since they were released and even with beta versions I used Vista and now Windows7 with no problems in Toolkit, Homegate and Piced.
    I have noticed some people have had issues with USB drivers in the past with 64 bit but they seem to be either able to be worked around within Windows or fixed now.

DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  16. wappinghigh

DaleS

The big question is how much faith do Clipsal have in their own software products? If they have lots and want to encourage people to invest in their system, why don't they give people assurances about it being able to be used with Windows 7?

I see an out of date website, and one poster saying it "mostly worked" on recent OS versions, and someone posting here with trouble working on Windows 64.

What message does this send?

DaleS, Dec 7, 2011
  17. wappinghigh

DarylMc

DaleS
    For reasons unknown to me the Clipsal website has never been updated to reflect that toolkit and piced worked fine on Vista and Windows7.
    In fact if they didnt I would be jumping up and down too.
    I take it you have a computer and also some CBus so why dont you just install toolkit or piced and start using it.

DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  18. wappinghigh

DarylMc

It may be worth highlighting the purpose of this forum.
    The C-Bus Community Forums is place where C-Bus users can share information and help others with C-Bus. From time to time you will see Clipsal staff on the forums, but this is not an official support channel. If you really need help contact the official support services of Clipsal. More information about the purpose of this forum is available here.
    Maybe you should give them a call to get the best information.
    http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical/technical_support

DarylMc, Dec 7, 2011
  19. wappinghigh

DaleS

The newly bought CBus stuff is sitting on the table - I have to wait until I get a few more bits before I can start programming it.
    I thought I had read that the software requires a physical device to be connected before you can do anything with it.

I'm still trying to decide what environment I need to develop in.

DaleS, Dec 7, 2011
  20. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Power monitoring..

This "ease of acces issue to PICED" re-surfaced as a problem for me when I went to make quick small changes to improve power management.

If/when you guys put in a CMU, you will see what I mean...

Sometimes all a user wants to do is say turn a scedule for a load on at a different time. A simple little change like that shouldn't need a complete login to PICED via a windows laptop. Download, upload etc....

wappinghigh, Dec 7, 2011
Ask a Question