Occupancy sensor problem

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by mcsortan, Dec 21, 2016.

1. mcsortan

mcsortan

I have an issue with an occupancy sensor that when I connect in a relay/dimmer in a certain section of my house, the PIR starts misbehaving after a period of time.

The sensor will activate on movement then when it detects movement again (during the timer) flash multiple times and turn off, then back on again.

Any ideas from anyone?

I think the multiple flashes from the PIR is trying to say something.

Thanks

mcsortan, Dec 21, 2016
  2. mcsortan

Ambro

Swap it out and test with another PIR, reprogrammed fresh.

If it works then it's the sensor that's at fault.

If not then it is enviromental (location feedback, network problems, programming issues etc.) and more step by step troubleshooting for you!

Ambro, Dec 21, 2016
  3. mcsortan

mcsortan

Well I have two of the PIRs intermittently doing the same thing at the same time in the same area, so I'm thinking it's not the PIRs.

I'm really interested in hearing if anyone knows what it means when a PIR flashes 3-4 times then turns off. I haven't been able to read anywhere what that means.

I'm wondering whether it could be a time of day/light level issue. I have them set up as motion in darkness but then have the pot set all the way counterclockwise to effectively make it work at any light level.

I've played around with clocks/burdens, impedance and power levels are all good. It is all just a bit weird.

mcsortan, Dec 21, 2016
  4. mcsortan

Ashley

Without knowing you exact setup it's a bit hard to give advice. One possibility though is since that if you have only set up motion in darkness with the default function, it is possible that when it is triggered it goes into day mode (because a nearby light is turned on) and so will not re-trigger. When the timer expires it will then turn off and if there is movement turn straight back on again. If you look at the default setup you will see that motion in light is set to re-trigger because the sensors generally go into day mode when triggered because the ambient light increases.

Ashley, Dec 21, 2016
  5. mcsortan

mcsortan

I reckon I must have a network problem of some sort.

I've tried every possible setting on the PIR. It might work for a minute or a day, then it begins playing up - turning on when it detects movement (normal) but then flashing multiple times and turning off when it detects second movement (before the timer has expired - not normal).

When I disconnect a certain C-bus cable in another part of my house (which has a four channel relay and a four channel relay connected) the system comes good again.

There must be a problem with how that cable is wired in - or something!

Anyone with similar experiences or advice?

mcsortan, Dec 23, 2016
  6. mcsortan

Shiney2512

It's possible you might a relay/power supply on its way out, have you tried disconnecting/ bypassing the relay? Does the network scan up quickly or does seem to scan slowly (which can indicate bad Comms or low power issues on the network), with the sensor , what colour does the indicator light flash?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2016
    Shiney2512, Dec 24, 2016
  7. mcsortan

Ambro

Can you try them with your programming in another location. As said previously, it's hard to know whats going on without looking at your programming - PIR's flash for a few seconds (orange only I believe) when they sense movement.....

Another thing is to re-read the help files, de-activate the software limits and do it through the POTs on the units and work from there.

Ambro, Jan 3, 2017
  8. mcsortan

NickD Moderator

It's not clear from your description what it is that is flashing... do you mean the orange LED inside the PIR or the load attached to it?

The orange LED would normally flash if the PIR is triggered and running a timer, but then it should be flashing the whole time and not just when triggered again.

If it's the load then something funny is definitely going on. I would look at the application log in toolkit or on a colour touchscreen, or download the diagnostic utility to see what messages (if any) correspond to the load switching.

Nick

NickD, Jan 4, 2017
Ask a Question