Occupancy Detection and Sunset Combined

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by twathead, May 1, 2005.

1. twathead

twathead

Ok I may be doing something very stupid here but is it possible to have one of the occupancy detectors perform both for Sunset and Occupancy Detection simultaneously?

I can't seem to get different groups to be triggered for light and dark conditions and I've tried this in both V2 and toolkit. Also tried a couple of detectors in case one was at fault.

There only seems to be one timer on board so presumably if Sunset has been triggered and is counting down merrily then when movement is detected the timer gets hijaked by this? :confused:

twathead, May 1, 2005
  2. twathead

Newman

Should be no problem. Which sensor are you using?

Newman, May 2, 2005
  3. twathead

twathead

Have tried with 360 degree ceiling mount 5735L and with 90 degree E5751L and indeed with external 5750.

This is why I think I must be doing something fundamentally wrong in the set up or the position of the adjustment screw.

Any suggestions or program examples gratefully received.

twathead, May 2, 2005
  4. twathead

Newman

The timer and Sunset functions can have independent timers, they are not necessarily related.

The 2 functions are linked by the light level pot however. The light level adjusting screw adjusts the point at which the PIR will start working to turn on the lights. Light level above the set point? PIR does nothing. Light level below the set point? PIR triggers and turns on the lights.

The way the Sunset function works is that it will turn on a group address when the ambient light level drops below the level set by the adjusting screw. So, if you wanted to have a set of garden lights come on for 10 minutes after sunset then you could use this feature.

I suspect that you're wanting to have the PIR work all the time and that you've got the light level adjusting screw cranked up so that it always works and thus the unit never sees the transition from "Light" to "dark" to make the sunset feature operate.

Also bear in mind that there's some filtering/hysteresis on the light level measurement so that the unit doesn't flicker on and off at the switching point.

Newman, May 3, 2005
  5. twathead

twathead

Yes that seems to be the behaviour. But there are events for both movement in daylight and movement in dark but by the sound of what you are saying effectively the PIR only works in "darkness" as set by the pot. This is what I am experiencing but what is the daylight movement for? :confused:

Some things are confusing!

Thanks for all your help so far.

twathead, May 3, 2005
  6. twathead

Newman

The daylight functions are for re-starting a running timer.

Use Case: Someone walks into their office. It's dark (below threshold) so PIR detects motion, turns on the Group Address and starts the off timer. Now with the light on the unit is in the Light state. Any further detected motion re-sets the timer (Day Movement function) so that the Group Address doesn't turn off. Net result is that the office light stays on for 1 timer interval after it last detects any motion.

If the unit tried to turn on the already-turned-on group address every time it detected motion it would waste network bandwith for no change in functionality.

Newman, May 3, 2005
  7. twathead

twathead

Hey it all makes some kind of sense now, although I'm going to have to think of another way of achieving what I need to.

Thanx

twathead, May 4, 2005
  8. twathead

Newman

You can make the SENPIRSS always turn on the Group Address, regardless of light level, by changing the key microfunctions for the Light + Movement to match the Dark + Movement settings. Then that will free you up to use the light level pot to set your sunset point independently.

Attached Files:

Newman, May 4, 2005
Ask a Question