Noob question on detecting a wireless dimmer

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by rossn, Aug 2, 2009.

1. rossn

rossn

Hi there,

I'm very new to the world of C-Bus!

I purchased the following equipment about a year ago, and it's taken me this long to get to installing it.

5500PS - Power Supply
    5884D1L2AA,GF - C-Bus Wireless 4 Button 2 Channel Leading Edge 1A Dimmer
    5800WCGA - C-Bus Wireless Gateway
    5500PC - RS232 C-Bus PC Interface

I installed the wireless dimmer 2 weeks ago - I didn't do much with it, but I checked that I can turn the 2 banks of lights on & off without any issue.

On Saturday I finally got around to wiring up the rest of the equipment. I have it set up in a clipsal box in an equipment cupboard about 5-6 metres from the dimmer location. I connected the PC Interface to my PC via a free serial port, downloaded the latest CBus toolkit, found my equipment on the network, but for some reason I can't see the dimmer itself. The only items the toolkit can find are the PC Interface and the Wireless Gateway.

Is this likely to be a configuration issue, or is there something further I need to do to "pick up" the dimmer, or do I have a problem?

Any info you can provide is appreciated!

Cheers
    Ross

rossn, Aug 2, 2009
  2. rossn

Newman

Before you can communicate with the wireless devices you need to create a wireless network between your Wireless Gateway and the Wireless Dimmer. This is necessary because communication between devices is encrypted. If this step wasn't done, anyone could re-program and control your devices.

To do this:
    1) Press the button on the bottom of the Gateway.
    2) Then enter Learn Mode on the Dimmer by pressing and holding the top two buttons at the same time, for ~10 seconds, until the LEDs flash fast, then release the buttons.
    3) Once the speed of LED flashing slows down, you need to send the network ID from the dimmer to the gateway. You do this by holding down one of the top buttons and double-clicking the other one.
    4) Exit Learn Mode by pressing and holding down both top buttons on the dimmer for ~1 second.

This procedure will network your Gateway and Dimmer together. Pretty sure this is covered in User Guides / Help if you get stuck.

Newman, Aug 3, 2009
  3. rossn

Spooky

Hi,

It sounds like you need to setup your wireless network.

Check out:

http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technic...bus_control_and_management_system/wireless_rf

have a look at the wireless quick start guide this well take you through learning your wireless units together then in toolkit right click on the wireless gateway in your network window an select make network this will then scan the wireless side of things.

Spooky, Aug 3, 2009
  4. rossn

rossn

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction! :)

I figured there was a step I was missing somewhere but you always have a nagging thought in the back of your mind that you've got a faulty piece of equipment somewhere.

BTW, thanks also for the friendly replies. You go to some forums and they slaughter you for asking a question like that. Nice to know this is a place where you can ask a basic question & not get beaten up. :)

Cheers!

rossn, Aug 3, 2009
Ask a Question