No Serial or Unit type from Relay module

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Damaxx, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Damaxx

Damaxx

Recently was asked to help a mate out on a site that had C-Bus installed about 8 years ago. Typical signs of faulty power supply - All push buttons flashing, unable to connect to network, etc.
    Narrowed it down to a faulty Relay module so we replaced the unit and the site came back up without a hitch.

When I connected and started a network scan, I had another relay module show up as gibberish for the Unit Type and no Serial No.

[​IMG]

The unit is still fully operational and communicating on the bus (responds to commands from motion sensors and switches). It just won't allow me to retrieve its program. When I double click on the unit, I receive a message along the lines of 'this unit's firmware is not compatible with this version of toolkit' but as you can see, the firmware revision is 1.6 the same as the rest of them.

Any suggestions on how to retrieve the program? Or should I expect a call back in the near future to help out replacing this unit also.

I am running windows 10, 1.14.5 Version of Toolkit, a 5500PC and one of the EasySync USB to Serial converters from Dontronics.

Damaxx, Aug 9, 2016
  2. Damaxx

jboer

Yeah, that unit is also on its way out. Those sort of signs are often the first when a unit is failing.

jboer, Aug 9, 2016
  3. Damaxx

Damaxx

Cheers for the reply jboer.
    I kind of figured as much, but was hoping otherwise.

Damaxx, Aug 9, 2016
  4. Damaxx

NickD Moderator

The message about the firmware version not being compatible is a bit misleading.. the reason is actually that it can't recognise the unit type.

Do you have the Diagnostic Utility?

If so, can you use the "Identify" button and then cut and paste the reply (either here or in a PM) so I can see what the unit type actually returned?

It may be worth doing it a few times just the check whether what is returned is consistent or just random garbage.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
    NickD, Aug 9, 2016
  5. Damaxx

Damaxx

Didn't get a chance to run the diagnostic program Nick as it was at a school and they needed us to get out (and get the lights back on!) for a parent teacher conference.

If I get the chance to get back there, I will certainly post my results.

Damaxx, Aug 9, 2016
Ask a Question