no one can solve this problem so far

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by salah, Apr 5, 2014.

1. salah

salah

Hi All,
    i am reaching out to you as no one so far could solve the problem we have with the C-bus system.

it worked for 2 years and now most of the lights dont work (we have around 50 light in 6 rooms)

if i add a bulb another goes down or stat flickering. at times, i add a bulb and all go down in all rooms.

at times some rooms dim alone. i dont care about dimming. i just want the rooms to work.

please help if you can

salah, Apr 5, 2014
  2. salah

DarylMc

DarylMc, Apr 5, 2014
  3. salah

ChrisJC

Auto Dimming of lights

Maybe DarylMc has helped you but my experience has shown that this can be a result of changed usage of the location of the C-Bus Cabinet. We have had an issue and eventually we found that the ventilation to the cabinet had been blocked because of change of use. On putting a temperature logger in we found that at night the cupboard got to over 75 deg which caused the problem.

I have seen so many places where the cabinets where the outputs are were being used for storage etc. despite warnings not to.

Sometimes we've got to look outside the square.

ChrisJC, Apr 15, 2014
  4. salah

Mr Mark

Hello salah.

Sounds to me like a capacitive issue. What type of lamps and dimmers are you using?

Mr Mark, Apr 15, 2014
  5. salah

DarylMc

Hi Mark

Yes the problem was caused by incompatible lamps with the universal dimmers.

There is one thing which I want to mention for the benefit of everyone else.

Some of the globes installed were dimmable CFL.

But they weren't regular phase dimmable type.
    They were a switch dimming type so by operation of the switch controlled a dimming function built into the lamp.

Even though the lamps had dimmable written on them, the installation instructions specifically stated that they were not to be connected to dimmers.

It caused all sorts of problems and I can entirely understand the confusion for the customer.

Incandescent lamps were not an option due to the thermal rating of the light fittings.
    I can only guess but I imagine this installation never worked properly.
    In the end I replaced the CBus dimmers with relay units and the lamps with regular CFL.

I think it is just too hard to find dimmable energy saving lamps suitable for various loads and high numbers of lamps per channel and so likely to cause problems that it should be avoided at all costs.
    Maybe it is OK for the carefully selected lamps in a domestic situation but a minefield for a customer in a commercial situation with many lamps per channel in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
    DarylMc, Jul 17, 2014
Ask a Question