No clock and Burden is always grey - still everything works.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by tobex, Nov 2, 2010.

1. tobex

tobex

I have several units on my network which have an option to enable a C-Bus clock.

- 8 channel Dimmer x 2
    - 5500CN
    - Old serial interface
    - 5000CT

None of these units have the clock enabled in C-Bus toolkit. Yet things seem to work fine.

I am using the hard wired burden in the old serial interface. But I don't see an option to enable a selectable burden in the above listed units. The box is grey.

Any advice ?

tobex, Nov 2, 2010
  2. tobex

Newman

There is definitely a unit on your network generating the C-Bus clock somewhere. Either it's turned on in one of the units you mention or there's another unit somewhere that is doing it.

Output units (aka your 8-ch dimmers) need to be at unit address 001 AND the clock option needs to be turned on for you to be able to enable the burden.

A 5500CN and a 5000CT can do both the Clock and Burden, if required. The option is on the Global tab.

The Old Serial Interface will support the clock option but the burden setting will be via a physical jumper on the unit.

Newman, Nov 2, 2010
  3. tobex

tobex

I looked high and low and found nothing in my toolkit that suggested a clock was running so I assumed it was present via the old PC interface which despite being ancient has a lot of nice features.

I enabled the 8ch dimmer to have clock and burden and everything still runs fine.

tobex, Nov 2, 2010
  4. tobex

Newman

After enabling the burden in the Dimmer unit make sure that the burden is turned off on the PC Interface. You only need one burden for a C-Bus network.

Newman, Nov 2, 2010
  5. tobex

tobex

I retired the serial interface. It was only there on the network to supply burden.

tobex, Nov 2, 2010
Ask a Question