No C-Bus connection to C-Touch

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by MJS, Dec 18, 2008.

1. MJS

MJS

Hi
    I have an existing installation where a C-Touch was installed about 10 months ago. Recently the no C-Bus connection icon appeared on the screen.
    The connection was checked and found to be available to the RJ45 plug.
    The unit was defaulted and the default project installed, but same result. The firware was also upgraded to the latest version, but still no connection.
    Am I missing something obvious?

Michael

Attached Files:

MJS, Dec 18, 2008
  2. MJS

MJS

I should add that when accessing the c-bus network through toolkit, the C-Touch is in the list of devices on the network and I am able to change the device name etc.

MJS, Dec 18, 2008
  3. MJS

Darren Senior Member

When you start the Colour C-Touch, do you see a form with "Connecting to C-Bus on COM1" on top and a progress bar? If so, how long does it stay on the screen?

Darren, Dec 19, 2008
  4. MJS

MJS

Hi Darren,
    It tries to connect on com3 and then after a few seconds it gives the error message.
    Michael

MJS, Dec 19, 2008
  5. MJS

Darren Senior Member

Are you sure it is com3, not com1?

Does the progress bar get completely to the right hand end?

Which version of HomeGate is in the Colour C-Touch?

Darren, Dec 22, 2008
  6. MJS

MJS

Hi Darren,

It is definitely com3, and it is running homegate 4.4.0.

When I went to the site today the C-Touch was connected to the C-Bus. The client tells me now that it has disconnected before and then reconnected a few days later. I restarted the screen to check that it would connect and it did. I also checked the progress bar and it did not go completely to the right hand end.
    Before you tell me that it may be a wiring problem, remember that I could connect to the screen via toolkit when the C-Touch was unable to connect to C-Bus.

Michael

Attached Files:

MJS, Dec 23, 2008
  7. MJS

Darren Senior Member

The fact that it is connecting then disconnecting is interesting. There are a few things which could cause this:
    1. A marginal connection to C-Bus. For example, wiring which isn't terminated very well, and the connection fails due to thermal expansion and contraction, vibration or other causes.
    2. A marginal C-Bus performance. It may have borderline C-Bus voltage, impedance (burden), electrical noise etc.
    3. Intermittent hardware fault in the Colour C-Touch unit.

It sounds like you have ruled out option 1.

To determine if option 2 is the cause, it might be a good idea to run the C-Bus diagnostic software (available from the CIS downloads web page) to monitor the C-Bus Traffic, and in particular, the error rate.

Darren, Dec 24, 2008
  8. MJS

MJS

Hi Darren,

Just an update to let you know that the CTouch has been connected without problems since my last post.
    I will be returning to site late next week when I will be able to run some diagnostics on the network.

Thanks for your suggestions thus far.

Michael

MJS, Jan 2, 2009
  9. MJS

ICS-GS

mee too

i also get this error message after i load a new progrm to the CTC unit, but pressing OK and waiting about 10 seconds is all it takes to get back to normal, but the customer does have 'concerns' with this.

Cheers

Grant

ICS-GS, Jan 4, 2009
  10. MJS

leo

Similar Problem

I am also having connection problems.
    Another installer did a firmware update on the touch screens before he upset the owner and we were called in.There are 7 CTC's and all have the same problem since the firmware update.

The CTC loses CBus connection at least once in a 24 hour period and has to be manually connected. The display is not an error message but only comes up with the network connection page. Reconnecting works for about 24 hours again.
    I have checked all connections and voltages with no problems found. The CTC were installed about 2 years ago and have worked perfectly until the firmware was updated.

leo, Jan 5, 2009
  11. MJS

Darren Senior Member

Which version do they have?

What do you mean by "manually connected"?

What do you mean by the "network connection page"? There is a "Network Configuration Utility", a "Network Manager" form and a "Properties" form. Is it one of these?

Darren, Jan 5, 2009
  12. MJS

leo

Thanks Darren

Firmware is version 4.0

Comes up with Network Manager stating no connection to CBus. Press ok and reconnects.

Am going back to site today as I couldn't download from the touchpads to check if file was updated or just firmware as I didn't have the latest version.
    Will post more information as soon as I get back.

leo, Jan 5, 2009
  13. MJS

leo

Have visited site and the following are the answers to your questions.

Software Version 4.4
    Bios Date 11/25/04
    Aux Proc Version 2.2.0
    Op Sys Win NT 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2

Network connection page is the properties page.

Error is as follows
    1. There is an error code of 14017 displayed
    Information is Missing or Incorrect
    File c:\Homegate ___\***.ctf does not exist.

On clicking OK it then comes up with Opening com 3 then displays the property page.
    On clicking ok on this page then will display the programed functions and the touch pad functions normally until error msg displayed again after an hour or 2.
    This error is on 7 touchpads and appears on each at least half a dozen times a day.

I got a copy of the original file off the AMX original installer which uses Application 204 which is illegal so cannot use. It looks like the previous installer has fixed this problem as application 204 is not in the toolbox file.

If I try to download the file from the touchpad, it saves as a CTA file but cannot open as states
    Error 14004
    Information missing or incorrect.
    File type *** can not be loaded

The problem with this installation is that the original installer has most functions programmed via hidden pages so that the AMX runs the system.
    I.E. you press a button on the CBus which the AMX receives the command and then sends a command to CBus on what to operate.

leo, Jan 5, 2009
  14. MJS

Darren Senior Member

This can happen when the project transfer process partly fails. Usually it can be fixed by transferring the project again. Obviously, you will need to have the project first (see below).

So it does connect successfully to the COM port then?

This should only happen when the software first starts up. There are a couple of possible causes:
    1. There is a scheduled "re-boot" every few hours. This would be a very strange thing to do.
    2. The HomeGate software is failing for some reason, and is being automatically re-started.

Option 1 can be checked by looking at the project to see if there is a schedule which executes the "Re-start" special function.

Option 2 will require you being present at the time that this occurs to see what happens. If you see HomeGate close (you will see the Colour C-Touch logo on the screen), then re-start then this is the cause. You will need to observe whether any error messages are shown (maybe take a camera). Also take notice of whether the Colour C-Touch actually re-boots (it will beep, and the screen will go black for 30 seconds or so).

If you find where application 204 is used and delete it, you should then be able to use the project. Contact CIS Tech Support if you need help with this.

You need to import the archive file first. See the help file topic "Importing from an archive".

Does this part of it work correctly? If not, you may need help from CIS Tech Support.

Darren, Jan 6, 2009
  15. MJS

leo

Thanks for your help Darren.
    The problem ended up being with Application 204 and that the touchpads were updated but the files weren't replaced. The touchpads were rebooting whenever application 204 was accessed or about 3-4 hours of inactivity.
    They have been running for 2 days with no problem.

The main fault appears to be that when the touchpads were updated, only the update file was sent and the CTouch file wasn't replaced.
    Reloading all has solved the problem. Application 204 was rewritten to another legal application.

Again, thanks for the time and your help.

leo, Jan 9, 2009
  16. MJS

jimmyhamblen

Touch screen no cbus connection

I have a customer that has no C-bus connection on his screen, tried to power down and bring up, tested the cat 5 cable, and upgraded firmware in unit. All of the other C-bus units? are work except for the touch screen that hasn't been working for about 4 months now.

We ask the customer to check the power of the system as recommended from the above thread and told them to use the diagnostic tool to check for errors. Is there any other trouble shooting techniques that you recommend before the customer sends the power supply and touch screen back in for evaluation.

P.S this is for the American market.

Thanks in advance,
    Jimbo Spice

jimmyhamblen, Nov 23, 2009
  17. MJS

Darren Senior Member

I assume this is a C-Touch Colour and that you mean that there is the indicator saying the C-Bus connection has failed, not that C-Bus is not physically connected.

I would try testing this on a bench with a known good C-Bus connection and a very basic project to see if that works.

Having a project with a very high processor usage (usually due to too much alpha blending) can also cause the C-Bus connection to fail. Use the "Show Usage" option on the log to see if this is occurring.

Darren, Nov 24, 2009
  18. MJS

MJS

Hi All,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but my problem with the CTC not communicating with C-Bus has come back.

The site was running without problems, then intermittently and now not communicating at all.
    To ensure that installation was not an issue, I have installed a cable exclusively to the CTC from the DB, I have also installed a bridge so that only a powered unit, bridge and CTC are on that section of the network. All without fixing the problem.
    Lastly, a software upgrade was done on the CTC, also no change.

This now leads me to think that it is a hardware fault. Can anyone suggest any thing else?

Michael

MJS, Jan 10, 2011
  19. MJS

aalen

Hi All,

We also are having this issue, the CTC lost connection to the C-BUS after sometimes.

The CTC is on software version 4.9.2.0.

Is this a known issue? Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
    Andry

aalen, Jan 16, 2011
  20. MJS

Darren Senior Member

It does sound like a hardware fault.

Darren, Jan 17, 2011
Ask a Question