NIRT download error

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by brodsky, Jun 7, 2006.

1. brodsky

brodsky

Hi,

I tried a few times over the last few days to download a project into a NIRT plate, without success.

I'm using a PCMCIA > Serial converter and are running CIRCA 1.1, Toolkit 1.4.0 & Cbus V2.7.10.

The codes have been learnt using IR Reader 1.2 s/w.

Everything works well and I am able to download my codes into NIRT (this takes anything from 15-20 min at a time, is it right:confused: ) up to the point that I try to test the command from the laptop. Then I hit the brickwall.

Funny thing is, that even though the codes seems to download ok, the NIRT will not react to C-bus codes being sent. Looking at the NIRT,the LEDs seem ok as well.

???

Thanks
    Brodsky:cool:

brodsky, Jun 7, 2006
  2. brodsky

brodsky

:eek: Mabe it will help if I attach the screen :eek: shots!!

:D

Attached Files:

brodsky, Jun 7, 2006
  3. brodsky

Newman

15-20 minutes is way too long for a download. I suggest that your PCMCIA -> RS232 converter is not doing the job properly. Are you using the one recommended by Training & Technical Support?

Newman, Jun 7, 2006
  4. brodsky

_____.

It's your serial converter

I had the same problem with some nert plates and found it to be my serial com port. Used a different PC and it all worked fine.
    I never worked out why my PC can't talk to the nert it works fine with all other C-Bus products???

_____., Jun 7, 2006
  5. brodsky

brodsky

Hi Newman,

Being in South Africa, we don't have the ones Tech support suggest, so I use a "Sunix".
    It works well with all the other programs though.

Do you think the new CIRCA s/w will resolve this issue?

Thanks
    :cool:

brodsky, Jun 7, 2006
  6. brodsky

Sam

NIRT Downloads

I had the same problem downloading using my laptop. It would take about 20mins to download and no one told me that was not normal. After downloading this way about half the things would work. I put the rest down to bad IR codes ( DENON). After months of trying everthing even reverse engineering the IR codes themselves I stumbled upon the following facts.

Fact 1 Download time should be 1 to 2 min Tops.
    Fact 2 NIRT download does not work on laptop serial port on DEll Computer even though every other serial device in the world works perfectly well with this serial port.

The Download takes a long time, you get no errors or warning messages some comands even work with the NIRT, Some do not but the problem is the download.

Solution ! Forget the lap top just carry around a desktop, as after I took my desk top computer to site and downloaded to the NIRTS again, Which took all of 1 to 2 min the whole thing including the denon IR comands seamed to Work.!!!

IF you can tell me why this is I would like to know.

I hope that this information can save someone else from the frustration that I have Been through.

:mad: Sam

Sam, Jun 7, 2006
  7. brodsky

daniel C-Busser Moderator

dell

Serial ports on Dell laptops, grrr, don't get me started :(

daniel, Jun 8, 2006
  8. brodsky

Richo

The good news is we are working on a solution to the serial issues specific to the Nirt. The reason that the Nirt is so tempramental and problematic is it does not use common serial communication methods. The Nirt uses a form of communication that requires manipulating the serial control lines in a specific way and this is just unreliable or slow on some comm ports.

We are hoping in a few months all these issues will disappear.

Richo, Jun 8, 2006
  9. brodsky

JohnC

LOL - I just started working for a division of Clipsal, and was issued with a Dell Latitude D510. Thus I proceeded to install all my old Cbus & Ctouch projects. Guess what - I can't even scan from Toolkit to a PCI using the inbuilt COM port :mad:

JohnC, Jun 8, 2006
  10. brodsky

Newman

JohnC

I have a Latitude D510 and both the internal RS-232 port and the docking station serial port work fine for me. I must be one of the lucky ones. ;)

Newman, Jun 8, 2006
  11. brodsky

Many of our Dell Latitude D810s have useless serial COM ports too, fortunately USB-serial adapters work great.

daniel, Jun 13, 2006
  12. brodsky

Nick Mullins

Circa and USB Adaptors

Daniel,
    I have always been told that the USB to serial convertors dont work when downlaoding to a NIRT unit.Please correct me if im wrong because this would probably please alot of circa users if all of a sudden with the new version they will work.

Nick Mullins, Jun 13, 2006
  13. brodsky

Richo

The USB to Serial adapters don't work. It is receommend to currently use a PCMCIA adapter if your laptop inbuilt port doesn't work. We hope to have a solution to this messy situation available in the not too distant future, but I can't talk about that yet. :)

Richo, Jun 13, 2006
  14. brodsky

Urk, my apologies. I meant to say that the USB-serial adapters work great on the Dell laptops, with PCIs. Sorry!

daniel, Jun 14, 2006
  15. brodsky

brodsky

Hi guys,

I managed to fire up an old Mecer laptop with serial port to do the NIRT programming. I do experience problems with the laptop not being able to connect to Toolkit via PCI or even c-bus ver 2.7.10.
    In some previous posts, we were unable to sort this snag out, although the pc works 100% with Minderpro or other serial products out of Clipsal range. It even tests ok when tested by a PC whiz on bench. See http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2111

I'm also unable to connect to NIRT. When I open a hyperterminal session however, I am able to see all C-Bus commands on network. Is it my serial port, C-gate or any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Brodsky

brodsky, Jun 20, 2006
  16. brodsky

elv

I've recently encountered the same problem

USB to serial adaptors won't work with NIRT units. Not all PCMCIA to serial adaptors will work with NIRT units either (Only some brands work).

elv, Dec 1, 2007
Ask a Question