NIRT - cannot download

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by nicknickster, Jan 1, 2010.

1. nicknickster

nicknickster

Got a project all set up and ready to transfer to a NIRT using the USB cable. I think i have the cable connected correctly - with the metal connectors pointing to the back of the NIRT.

A green light is flashing on the USB cable.

I click to transfer the project and the dialog says it recongises i am using the USB cable and that i should press START to do the transfer. However the START button on the dialog is greyed out. I have waited a while and it remains greyed out.

I have tried all this connected and not connected to C-gate, but i can't get it to show me a START button to press. Very infuriating !! Any ideas?

nick

nicknickster, Jan 1, 2010
  2. nicknickster

Newman

If the Start button does not become available then it means that CIRCA can't talk to the NIRT on the other end of the cable. Yes, the silver bits to the back is the correct way around for the cable.

A few things to check:
    - that the NIRT is powered up from C-Bus and both unit LEDs are On.
    - that the cable is fully inserted. If the unit has been in-use for a while there may be some crud on the contacts.
    - that the USB programming cable shows up in your PC device manager.
    - that you're using CIRCA 2.5.0 or newer

One of the first things that CIRCA does is download new firmware into the NIRT. The file is located in the c:\Clipsal\CIRCA folder and is called something like (IR_APP.S19, or something like that, brain is in holiday fog mode...). Make sure it's there. If CIRCA can't find this file it won't start the download either. If you're running Vista or 7 then that may also be a clue that the problem is file permission related.

Newman, Jan 2, 2010
  3. nicknickster

nicknickster

Still no joy

Thank you for taking the time to reply (especially at this time of year!)

However in reply to your post:

The NIRT is powered from C-Bus and both unit LEDs are illuminated (the left hand one flashes on and off every few seconds but the right hand one is on constantly for some reason - is that correct?)

I think i have inserted the cable fully - the cable is brand new. I have also peeled the heat shrink around the connector back a bit to make sure the connector is going fully in. The NIRT is also brand new - i haven't used it as i didn't have the USB cable until last week.

The cable shows up in device manager and the transfer dialog box on CIRCA says it is connected to the cable (and doesn't offer the COM alternatives as it knows the USB cable is there). The green LED on the cable also flashes every second or so.

I am using CIRCA 2.5.1

The firmware file IR_APP.S19 is in the CIRCA folder.

The PC is running XP.

I would have loved to have found something i was doing wrong so that i could correct it but i seem to be doing everything right, but for some reason CIRCA tells me to press that START button for the transfer but greys it out so all i can press is CANCEL.

Can you think of anything else i could try?

nick

nicknickster, Jan 2, 2010
  4. nicknickster

Newman

Yep, that's correct.

Hmm, OK. Can you test IR codes? CIRCA has the ability to test IR codes in a physically-connected NIRT without downloading a full project. It would be worth testing that functionality out.

It's also possible that something has gone awry with the USB driver. To solve this, uninstall the 5100HSCU driver, disconnect the dongle, and re-install CIRCA 2.5.1. Then re-connect the dongle and let the driver re-install itself.

Out of interest, has this problem occurred after making any changes to your set-up, like installing a new version of Toolkit or PICED or similar? Maybe a change in PC firewall?

You could also try making a new Toolkit AND CIRCA project and saving that project before trying the transfer.

Newman, Jan 2, 2010
  5. nicknickster

nicknickster

Getting worse...

I tried to do a TEST to check the IR codes. I realised the green flashing light on the USB cable is actually powered by the NIRT (I assumed it was the USB) so i presume that the cable is connected properly.

However for some reason when i press to TEST and now when i press to Transfer to Unit i get the following.

The box pops up to say it is processing an unexpected error which then reports as:

"Exception 'EReadError' in module CIRCA.exe at 0002978B
    Error reading ConComboBox.ComProperty: COM Port Error: WriteFile Function failed on registry read

Module: UNKNOWN, Source: UNKNOWN, Line: UNKNOWN, Procedure: UNKOWN"

I can't understand why this started happening. It does exactly the same whether i have loaded my project or not, whether i have connected the USB cable or not and whether i have C-Gate or Toolkit runnign or not.

I therefore uninstalled the USB driver AND CIRCA and downloaded the most recent version (which was the same as i was always using) and reinstalled it. For good measure i downloaded the most recent Toolkit and installed that.

I am afraid the same thing happens every time. I now have no idea what to do next.

Thank-you for any more help you can give me.

nick

nicknickster, Jan 2, 2010
  6. nicknickster

Newman

The green flashing light is powered from the USB, not the NIRT.

Unfortunately I'm off on holidays as of today. Perhaps one of the others on the forum will have some ideas.

Newman, Jan 2, 2010
  7. nicknickster

nicknickster

cable

I don't understand how the flashing light in the cable is powered by the USB rather than the NIRT. If i plug the cable into the NIRT and leave the USB end dangling and not plugged into my PC then the flashing light stays flashing.

Anyway - have a good holiday and hopefully someone else has some ideas on what i can try next

thanks for your help so far

nick

nicknickster, Jan 3, 2010
  8. nicknickster

Newman

Heh, the current required to run the micro in the 5100HSCU is so low that it's actually stealing enough leakage current off the 5034NIRT to keep itself running. That's not the normal condition however, and you'll notice that the green flashing LED is distinctly dull when connected only to the NIRT. It gets much brighter when plugged into the USB port.

Out of interest, does this PC have any native COM ports at all? It might be related.

Also, is the user account limited or does it have administrator privileges?

Newman, Jan 18, 2010
  9. nicknickster

Phil Summers

Struggling with the same issue

I am having the same problem. The best I've got it was the ability to test an IR code. The orange light flashed "superbright" on the channel, but on attempting to download the Start button in the "transfer to unit" dialog box remained dimmed out and unavailable.

Since uninstalling and reinstalling both CIRCA and drivers, the only message I get on attempting both IR test and transfer to unit is the error

"Exception 'EReadError' in module CIRCA.exe at 0002978B Error reading ConComboBox.ComProperty: COM Port Error: WriteFile Function failed on registry read Module: UNKNOWN, Source: UNKNOWN, Line: UNKNOWN, Procedure: UNKOWN"​

The NIRT seems fine and scans with toolkit. Its lights are on and responding to network traffic. The firmware file is present in the directory, the USB programming cable shows in device manager and is reported as working OK, I'm on XP with administrator privileges. I've attached a few screenshots in case they provide clues.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Phil Summers, Feb 15, 2011
  10. nicknickster

Newman

I do recall there being a transfer issue when the PC had no serial ports at all. CIRCA would go looking for the NIRT but trip up if it couldn't find a COM port, even if a USB programming cable was attached. I can't remember if this issue is fixed in the current release of CIRCA or not... are you sure you're using the latest one from the website (2.6.1)?

You might be able to work around the issue by temporarily connecting a USB serial cable or USB PCI to your PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
    Newman, Feb 15, 2011
  11. nicknickster

Phil Summers

Thanks, Newman. No, I'm on CIRCA 2.5.1, PICED 4.7.0.0 and TK 1.10.6

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to upgrade to the most up to date version, the reason being that I will also have to change Toolkit and PICED versions and rewrite some code - my post in the PICED section explains why. I was hoping you'd be able to point me to a quicker fix

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5644

However, as you say this is a known issue with CIRCA 2.5.1 I'll do the work and let you know if I have any further trouble.

While I've got your ear... Can I just download all the software from the website and run the installers over the top of the old versions or do I need to uninstall everything first before installing anew?

Thanks for your speedy help

Phil

Phil Summers, Feb 16, 2011
  12. nicknickster

Newman

You can run the installers without needing to uninstall old versions first.

As shown on the compatibility chart on the CIS website, you'll need to roll up to at least Toolkit 1.11+ and PICED 4.8+ to be able to use CIRCA 2.6+

Newman, Feb 16, 2011
  13. nicknickster

Phil Summers

Yes, thanks will do.
    It's very late in Adelaide- do you guys never sleep?
    Much appreciated. Phil

Phil Summers, Feb 16, 2011
  14. nicknickster

Newman

Sleep? Only in my dreams. :rolleyes:

Newman, Feb 16, 2011
  15. nicknickster

Phil Summers

Bug persists

Hi Newman

After upgrading to the latest CIRCA PICED and TK I was still having the same problem.

Your trick with the USB serial port adaptor fixed the problem, though. Everything's up and running now - thanks.

I thought I'd best let you know that this bug persists. For anyone else struggling in the future--
    Check in Windows device manager that you have a COM port showing- it doesn't have to be connected to anything.​
    If you don't have a COM port showing, try plugging in something that forces the OS to open a COM port. I used a ?10 usb to serial adaptor lead.​
    CIRCA then seems happy and will be able to communicate with the USB programming cable.

Phil

Phil Summers, Feb 22, 2011
  16. nicknickster

Newman

Sounds to me like Clipsal need to push out a CIRCA update.

Newman, Feb 22, 2011
  17. nicknickster

oracle

I have the similar issue but I just opted out to by the usb programming cable and it worked - no matter what I could not get the seriel one to work.
    on older versions of software it was fine?

oracle, Feb 23, 2011
  18. nicknickster

Mr Mark

NIRT USB Cable woes...

After reading through the previous posts, still cannot get this cable to work with W7 64 bit - works great with W7 32 bit though.
    I've re-installed CIRCA and Toolkit with the latest versions and when I go through device manager all I get is this driver hasn't been digitally signed. As mentioned above it works on my media PC (32 bit), but this one is due to be upgraded to 64 bit sometime this week.:confused:
    Any ideas?

Mark

Mr Mark, Mar 18, 2012
  19. nicknickster

YELAT

Gents,
    After also encountering the 'EReadError' when trying to connect to the NIRT using Windows 7 (64BIT) PC with no serial ports, I have inadvertently discovered a way to resolve the issue. I am not currently at my home PC, therefore some of the details are generic...

1. Start up the PC/Laptop in compatibility mode (F8) and select the option to ignore the digital signature requirements.
    2. Connect the USB download cable and check in device manager that it has been accepted. If so great move on to the next step, if not restart PC/Laptop in compatibility mode with USB download cable connected.
    3. In Device Manager go to the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section. (If you cannot see this section in the Device Tree refer Google on how to show them when hidden)
    4. Under the Actions Menu select "Add Legacy Hardware" which launches the Wizard.
    - Select the option to "Manually" install Hardware
    - Scroll down to Ports (COM & LPT) and select
    - Under "Manufacturer" choose the one that contains Clipsal Australia in the title (My machine had more that one version of driver Manufacturer with Clipsal in the title)
    - Under "Model" choose the driver that contains SILabs in the title and proceed to install the new COM Port
    5. You will note that you now have an additional COM Port in the list. Go to the properties of the new port and change the port setting under the Advanced TAB to be COM1 and accept the change.
    6. This should cause the USB Download cable digital signature to fail again.
    7. Go to the properties of the new port and change the port setting under the Advanced TAB back to it's original port assignment and accept the change.
    8. Re-Start the PC/Laptop in compatibility mode (F8) and select the option to ignore the digital signature requirements.

You should now be able to connect to the NIRT without the Digital Signature issue or the EreadError occurring...

YELAT, Aug 5, 2015
Ask a Question