Nightlight options section in indicators tab

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by 2SC, Oct 23, 2011.

1. 2SC

2SC

Well, it is embarrassing but I have to ask...:eek:
    Is there a way to enable led light around buttons of a Saturn switch all the time without enabling the "Key Press Activity" which in my opinion gives an ugly appearance to the switch?
    I am pretty sure that in NEO switches with older firmware the "Enable Nightlight" was independent of "Key Press Activity". Now, unfortunately it is not.

2SC, Oct 23, 2011
  2. 2SC

NickD Moderator

The nightlight features in Neo and Saturn switches are different.

Neo has dedicated LEDs in the top and bottom bars for the nightlight, whereas Saturn does not have dedicated nightlight LEDs. From memory, Saturn switches turn the key LEDs on at a low level if all the groups are off (and the nightlight feature is enabled).

Nick

NickD, Oct 25, 2011
  3. 2SC

NickD Moderator

Ok... Newman pointed out that I was mistaken in my recollection, so I've had a bit of a play to refresh my own memory.

The nightlight feature where the indicators come on if all groups are off is a feature in the DLT - my bad.

Also, the level that the Saturn nightlight comes on at is the level defined by the "Indicator Brightness" and "Key Press Activity" settings. I think here I was thinking of C-Bus Wireless behaviour.

I'm puzzled by your comment that turning on the Key Press Activity makes the switch appear ugly.. Can you explain how you have the indicators set, how you have the brightness set, what about it makes it ugly, and exactly what behaviour you would prefer?

Nick

NickD, Oct 25, 2011
  4. 2SC

Thomas

More details please

Hi Nick,

I was trying to do something like this on a DLT, and couldn't get it right. The Help file didn't clear this up for me either, unfortunately.

I have DLTs where the display should go off when a GA assigned to do that goes to OFF. That works, and also switches the LEDs in the keys off.
    To have the LEDs in the keys on, as a Night light, I enabled both the ON USER KEYS and the ON PAGE KEYS in the Night Light section of the Indicators Tab.
    I then set the control GA to OFF, but the LEDs in the keys remained off.

I assume that I am missing something. Could you help, please?

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas, Oct 26, 2011
  5. 2SC

Newman

You will notice on the Indicators tab of the DLT user interface that where you assign the group address to control the brightness is inside a group box called "Screen and Indicator Brightness". The brightness of the screen and buttons cannot be controlled independently; they are always at the same brightness. Therefore, if you turn the brightness group off, it turns off both the screen and indicator LEDs. You cannot have the button LEDs on, and the screen off.

If you're after a subtle nightlight effect try setting the control group to minimum, i.e. Level 1, rather than turning it off completely. This can be done using schedules from things like Touchscreens or a PAC. This will give a faint glow to the screen and, if the nightlight options are enabled, the key indicators also.

Newman, Oct 26, 2011
  6. 2SC

Thomas

Thank you for your response Newman,

I was fearing it would be as you describe.

Regards
    Thomas

Thomas, Oct 27, 2011
  7. 2SC

2SC

Well, I usually use Neo switches in my projects, so I sorry for my ignorance.
    A colleague of mine was 100% sure that the ring of the Saturn switch has a independent light as nightlight.

Anyway, can you please explain, why it is necessary to activate the "Key press activity" for enabling the Nightlight Option?

2SC, Oct 28, 2011
  8. 2SC

Newman

Neo's have independent indicators for their Nightlight. As such, Toolkit allows you to have the nightlight enabled whenever you want.

The Saturn switches use the same indicators for displaying group status as well as for the nightlight. When a Saturn switch has the Nightlight option enabled, the unit displays the status of the groups on it's indicators during the "Key Press Activity" time, using the Key Press Activity indicator brightness. When this timer expires, the unit then displays the nightlight, either blue or orange, on all it's indicators at once, using the brightness level defined by the Indicator Brightness setting.

If the unit allowed the nightlight to be turned on without the "Key Press Activity" option enabled, then when the user pressed any of the buttons on the switch none of the indicators would change. The nightlight would still persist, i.e. all indicators illuminated with the same colour and brightness, and the indicators would not show the group status.

Newman, Oct 29, 2011
Ask a Question