Night mode on NEO Switches

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by rscott9999, Aug 9, 2004.

1. rscott9999

rscott9999

Hi

Anyone have any ideas on how to only have the night backlight on NEO switches during night time hours and off during the day. Is it possible?

rscott9999, Aug 9, 2004
  2. rscott9999

Duncan

Hi there rscott,

I'm pretty sure the nightlights can't be controlled.. I'l double check this.

BUT I believe that internally the Unit IS capable of having its Night Light status tied to a Group Address on the Unit's Primary Application. At some point, you'll see this exposed as an option in the Installation Software.

Stay tuned :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2004
    Duncan, Aug 9, 2004
  3. rscott9999

Clyde

As far as I know the LED's brightness can be controlled by setting a group address linked to a light level sensor or possibly a pir, which we have achieved.(ie the led's dim in the bedrooms at night time to a level set on another key input). Sadley the night lights are either on or off,

It would be good feature if the night lights could be linked in this way. Clients do like the look of the night lights, but are slightly put off or confussed by the 'ignore first press' (or not ignore first press) (dont tell them that bit)

Clyde

Clyde, Aug 19, 2004
  4. rscott9999

znelbok

Something I have just come across installing the neo's for the first time

When you turn a light on and the LED is lit on the neo, it will turn off when the night mode LED's come on. This makes it hard to determine which key you need to press. You will learn the order soon enough, but untuik then it is guess and then get it right as they all come back on to show you which keys are on

A light level sensor in the key input unit would be great, one room could be dark while it is still light outside, and so only that key input will bring on its night lights.

Mick

znelbok, Aug 19, 2004
  5. rscott9999

Newman

You can make the night light LEDs of a Neo remain permanently On by setting the "When a key is pressed go to 100%" time out to 0 seconds. This will leave the night light indicators permanently On, regardless of what the key indicators are doing. In this configuration the "ignore first key press" option doesn't do anything and the unit always responds to the first press.

Unfortuantely the brightness of the indicators is controlled as a global feature of the entire unit, so dimming down the night light LEDs will dim down the key indicators as well. The only note is that the night light LEDs do dim down a bit quicker than the key indicators, so maybe this will be sufficient.

You can tie the key indicator brightness to a group address, so any unit that can control a group address in response to light level can be used to control the indicator brightness, Light level sensor, PIR, Multisensor etc.

Your best cost option here would be to use the Sunset option on a standard PIR to change the unit LED brightness when it is dark by turning On the key indicator brighness group address. The multisensor is definitely more capable and gives you more options with respects to light level but it is a higher cost product too.

Newman, Aug 20, 2004
  6. rscott9999

rscott9999

Oh well

Thanks Guys

But I think the answer is that the night light is basically on or off and can't be tied to a key input ... is that right?

I noticed tht the LED brightness can be tied to a key input, but that's not want I wanted to achieve

All I wanted was the night light to be on at night and off during the day and teh LED's to stay at whatever brightness was set

rscott9999, Sep 8, 2004
  7. rscott9999

rscott9999

Duncan

I'm not sure exactly on what you mean by Night Light status (ie on/off?)
    I can't see this option anywhere are you sure? and if so where is this option?

rscott9999, Sep 8, 2004
  8. rscott9999

Newman

You're right, not possible to control the nightlight brightness in the unit independently as the brightness of the indicators is global for all indicators for the unit, except the On/Off status obviously.

Newman, Sep 8, 2004
Ask a Question