Newbies who haven"t done courses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exsolter, Feb 28, 2010.

1. exsolter

exsolter

Newbies who haven"t done courses

I have been doing CBUS for MANY YEARS and had a friend advise me that there are people on this FORUM using it to get info on HOW TO PROGRAM the sites (that others have programmed) they have picked up but not passing onto people have have the experience in doing the job properly!!!!

This person has basically said some people don't know how to program.

I'm starting to really HATE these NEWBIES coming into the feild that many of US are trying to keep clean in doing good work and keeping CLIPSAL GOING in this game and US IN WORK!!!

It should be expressed to all people that they should do the course before picking up JOBS, otherwise hand them over to people who have done the courses and have the experience to do the WORK

Thanks
    ________
    TL1000S

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    exsolter, Feb 28, 2010
  2. exsolter

mmd

Doing the courses is a good start, but if I was to list the number of sparkies who I have worked with who have done the course and consequently stuffed up very important and basic components of the job I would likely run out of the character limit for messages.

You need real world practical experience that a course doesn't give you, of course you have to start somewhere, but a 400 square home is not the place to start.

This is mostly clipsals own fault however as they cheerfully supply equipment to anyone and everyone (building your own house, here have the stuff cheaper than an integrator and can get it and then they can fix it up for you when it doesn't work).

They also have a very bad habit of bending over backwards to help anyone who has stuffed up lest people think clipsal is at fault.

Approved installer programs and point one etc are a step in the right direction, but the reality is anyone can still install the stuff and bugger it up.

I have spent countless hours (days? weeks?) fixing up other peoples mistakes and have grown utterly tired of any real change control from clipsal.

This is not just confined to smaller installers, I have dealt with some very large firms who but a lot of gear who still really couldn't find their cbus a*#se with both hands and a map.

Don't expect to see any change anytime soon.

mmd, Feb 28, 2010
  3. exsolter

Ashley W

Just remember you had to start somewhere yourself. Sounds like you don't like a bit of competition coming into the marking and taking away YOUR work.

Ashley W, Feb 28, 2010
  4. exsolter

Mac

Like the open forum and info !

Well; i would like to do it myself some day (or at least modify the install on my own place).

But first install now an approved Hong Kong Cbus installer will do for me.

The forum is great and for a place like HK its perfect since a lot more info is available on here of what can be done and what cant (the installers, and even Schneider HK dont know; or sometimes installer dont want to do it with Cbus).

Anyway; not trying to take away your job but at the same time; dont close the forum and channel as its what i like about Cbus :) (reason why i am going with Cbus after lurking here for a few years).

Mac, Mar 2, 2010
  5. exsolter

7iron

Thats why I'm here - because my house was stuffed up and they guy who "did the course" took the money and ran - would never come back. He did it on one more job and the builder never used him again

In my case I've got 10+ years of embedded real-time programming so its not too hard

7iron, Mar 2, 2010
  6. exsolter

daky

+1 Fully agree - 7iron

Doing the accredited course, or being a qualified tradesperson doesn't mean you have the knowledge, experience or skill to do the job properley - a fact that many people have discovered.

I have been called out to fix up so many jobs by work carried out by experienced sparkies who have done the the course, believe me they shouldn't even have been granted a electrician's license.

A piece of paper saying you are qualified to do this or that type of work doesn't mean you know how - especailly how to do the job properley!

daky, Mar 2, 2010
  7. exsolter

exsolter

Yes I had to start somewhere!!! But yes it wasn't a job
    First job was fixing bosses house and then did the courses
    Had been an elec for 5 years and a phone tech for 6 and was an IT tech background, so CBUS was easy to pickup.

Yes my background helped ALOT in picking up CBUS and PLC, etc.

I don't care about competition as there are about 10 others that have done the basic course, and we are all getting work.

BUT its the guys that think they know every thing and don't every think about doing the course because they KNOW IT ALL!!!!! or we can DO CBUS YOU DON"T NEED THE COURSES

About the job concerned I believe I was the last onsite over 3 yr ago and he has said thing that well I believe are un true(HE HAS NOT DONE ANY COURSE AND FROM WHAT I HEARD THIS IS THE FIRST TIME HE HAS EVERY TOUCH CBUS, AND USES THIS FORUM TO GET HIS ANSWER TO QUESTION I BELIEVE MOST INSTALLERS WOULD ALREADY KNOW, SO WHAT EXPERIENCE DO YOU NEED, LIFE!HA!HA!HA! MATURITY [PLC HELPS] ), as I wouldn't have left CBUS unit unprogrammed sitting on the network, as WHY would you have SOLD it to them in the first PLACE!!!
    From what I've been told by my contact who has the BASIC course, THIS GUY HAS PROBLEMS CONNECTING HIS COMPUTER TO AN INTERFACE

As an approved installer or POINT ONE, ETC THEY GET THE BETTER DISCOUNTS and the GUY THAT HAVEN'T!! GET THE STANDARD COSTS, as this will start to pull the guys in that get jobs and haven't the JOB EXPERIENCE and COURSES under their belts. I know companies that can get the same discounts that I get from the WHOLESALERS and don't even want to do the courses.

YES !! HAVING THE PIECE OF PAPER DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN YOU KNOW EVERYTHING, BUT ITS A START IN THE RIGHT WAY. BEFORE PEOPLE OPEN THEIR MOUTHS AND SAY THING THAT BAD MOUTH OTHER COMPANIES, aren't we to suppost to help each other OUT and this part of the reason for this FORUM.

I have my PREVIOUS workplace ringing me to get answer about JOBs & how to put the combination of product together and product itself because I took my spare time to help my situation in this game to get ahead. THEY HAVE 2 APPROVED INSTALLERS
    ________
    easy vape

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    exsolter, Mar 3, 2010
  8. exsolter

Ashley W

You clearly have an issue with one individual, suggest you sort your issues out with him rather than rant and rave rot like that on a board like this.

Ashley W, Mar 6, 2010
Ask a Question