Newbie Question - Recommended way to control Air Con?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by tigsdad, Jan 19, 2005.

1. tigsdad

tigsdad

Hi,

I'm about to have C-BUS installed in a new home The advice I've been given is that it's too expensive to bother controlling the air conditioning.

After digging a bit, the best suggestion that I've been able to find is to set the air con temp to what I want on the air con thermostat and simply start and stop the air con to chase that temp.

From reading the forums, it sounds like its possible to install an air con system that has a wireless remote and then send wireless signals to it from C-BUS.

Does anyone have reccomendations or a good summary of a reliable and economical approach to this issue that I could refer to?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

tigsdad, Jan 19, 2005
  2. tigsdad

brett_lynn

Does your Aircon use an IR Remote at all? If so you could control it via an IR plate as an alternative.

brett_lynn, Jan 19, 2005
  3. tigsdad

Newman

If your Air Conditioner type is a Reverse-Cycle spilt system then simply cycling it on/off to regulate the temperature might not work so well because there's a start-up delay for them.

The best way would be via the 5034NIRT IR Transmitter. To learn the IR Codes for your system contact a CIS rep in your state and they should be able to help you out.

Newman, Jan 19, 2005
  4. tigsdad

Arthur

Ducted system

Hi Tigsdad

When I had my system installed (R/C ducted), I found a couple of brands could have an add on controler board which will accept a dry contact for off and on control.

The system I had installed has a few selectable modes of control using a combination of the two inputs and two outputs. I've connected mine via a Minder

The mode I used allows one input to toggle the A/C on/off, the other input forces an ecconomy mode (runs the A/C at +/- 2C depending if your heating or cooling). Output 1 indicates off/on and output 2 a fault condition if one occurs.

So we set the A/C to the temp and mode (mine can be set to auto select cool/heat) at its own control pad, and let it be controled by its own thermostat. The Minder/C-Bus system simply toggles the system on /off and econo mode.

-Arthur :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2005
    Arthur, Jan 24, 2005
Ask a Question