Newbie question: How do I know my system is complete?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by njmel, Aug 15, 2016.

1. njmel

njmel

I was hoping to get some guidance with a cbus2 system which is installed in a property I have just bought.
    It wasn't a big selling point but I have since become quite interested in the cbus solution.

We were told the final components of the cbus system would be installed within the next week or so but I can't work out what I need to look for at the final inspection.

At this point there only seems to be a dimmer and relay unit in the switchboard (see attachment) and all the saturn range light switches (with led lights to indicate status) for all the lights.

Do I need a controller unit? I can't see how I can program the unit other than using the learning mode on the light switches...

Thanks for all suggestions.

Attached Files:

njmel, Aug 15, 2016
  2. njmel

rhamer

Whether it is complete or not depends on what options were supposed to be included.

However what you have described is a complete basic system, so it is likely that it is complete (assuming the lights turn on/off/dim as expected).

As for programming, you would need to add a PC interface module (PCI or CNI) and download the toolkit programming software. It is likely the installer just connected one to do the initial programming, then took it with him.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Aug 15, 2016
  3. njmel

ashleigh Moderator

Just clarifying: It is common for installers to have a PCI "in the toolbox", use it for commissioning, and then take it away. This means you have not paid for something which is essentially dead hardware (unless you are doing commissioning).

There's not much stopping you from purchasing a PCI or CNI and doing commissioning. Toolkit s/w is free but you would have to buy the PCI or CNI. You also need to open the board to connect the PCI/CNI to the C-Bus network, and this should be done by a licensed sparky.

ashleigh, Aug 16, 2016
  4. njmel

njmel

Thanks guys, this is very valuable information.
    I will move in and play with it first to see if I need the PCI kit but sounds like cbus is a lot more fun with it...
    Thanks again!

njmel, Aug 16, 2016
  5. njmel

NickD Moderator

As Rohan said, whether it's complete or not depends on the specification.

If they haven't left a PCI, CNI, or Wiser as part of the installation, I would ask them if they can run a cable to an RJ45 socket on a plate somewhere near where your IT equipment will be, so that you can conveniently hook up one of the above interfaces if/when you want to connect to the system.

The other thing that will be helpful is a copy of the Toolkit project file. If it just a basic system they shouldn't have too many objections to providing this.. on the other hand it's probably also not that difficult to reconstruct the group names and switch programming yourself (and doing so will teach you a bit about the system).

There's also usually plenty of people here willing to help as long as you don't expect an answer within minutes :)

Nick

NickD, Aug 16, 2016
Ask a Question