Newbie just got caught

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldSkool, Apr 23, 2009.

1. OldSkool

OldSkool

I'm semi new to the world of C-BUS
    I've been involved with wiring quite a few houses but have never been allowed to do the programming or the final connections to the output units.

Anyway just finished the CBUS Basics course (quite decent) and started wiring up my house with CBUS. I'm doing it in stages and we still need lights at the end of each day. So today I wired up two of the bedrooms over to CBUS and ran Submains to the new CBUS board etc.. Connected it all up and turned it all on.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Lights all come on but using local toggles no lights. Scratch the head....

Scanned the network and reprogrammed it all and still nothing.

Checked and rechecked the wiring diagram and couldn't work out what was going on.

No 240Volt on the outputs.

Something silly had to be wrong. So rechecked and rechecked it........

Started cursing by this stage.

Until I notice that in the wiring diagram for the dimmer unit it has 240V on the left side and control wire on the right ?????? Must be on same phase yeah righto BUT WHAT IS IT FOR??????????

Anyway after cursing and swearing and searching on here I find in a completely different diagram clearly shown that you need 240V both laft and right sides or you get nothing.

Anyway got trapped by a stupid diagram but all working and ready for more to be done tomorrow.

:p

OldSkool, Apr 23, 2009
  2. OldSkool

Newman

The 240V connection on the left (when looking at the front of the unit, right way up) provides the operating power for the unit. This connection also provides the zero-crossing signal to the dimming microprocessor so that the dimmers know when the mains signal crosses zero, so that they can get their timing right.

The 240V connection on the right provides the power for the dimmer channels. As you found out, if they're not on the same phase the dimmer won't work, usually just turning on all the channels to max.

Newman, Apr 23, 2009
Ask a Question