newbie help-logic code

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by micelisun, Dec 20, 2008.

1. micelisun

micelisun

I have zero experience in writing serial commands and have a problem. Need to simulate a button press in a Lutron processor from a DLT. Basically if anyone could save me some time and headache by posting an example it would be greatly appreciated.

micelisun, Dec 20, 2008
  2. micelisun

NickD Moderator

I doubt many people here will have any experience with Lutron processors, given C-Bus is relatively new in the US market.

If you can post some details about the Lutron serial protocol here we may be able to get you started.

Nick

NickD, Dec 21, 2008
  3. micelisun

micelisun

here are the parameters: 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, no xon/xoff. Lutron receives in hex or ascii. I am simply trying to simulate a button press in the lutron processor from a DLT. Might be dumb question but would I need a null modem? Lutron is a DCE. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I was talked into using clipsal on a rather large project and still need to control the lutron sivoia shades.
    Thanks

micelisun, Dec 26, 2008
  4. micelisun

Lucky555

As in all cases go to the PICED Help files for info - I don't think I have seen a better help file.

Before you get off and running you will have to get the basics right.

If you are using a PAC unit you will have to power it via a 16-24V AC - the CTC is unit powered.

No matter how much I tried (some time ago now) I could not tie down the DCE / DTE thing with PAC. Have a couple of serial cables (pins 2, 3 & 5) handy plus some changeovers. If you are testing using a PC and Hyper terminal to your Lutron unit don't be surprised if one cable works for the PC and another arrangement works with the PAC.

Once you have the electrical connections sorted you need to write logic code to get the serial comms happening.

Initialise the serial port with the parameters from your post above. Once you have a serial port open you should read it into a string constantly (small buffer)

Search the forums for serial - some time ago Phil.H posted a training programs that dealt with serial for a starter like yourself. Don't forget the PICED help files ;)

Found it = http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1845&highlight=serial+logic

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
    Lucky555, Dec 26, 2008
  5. micelisun

PSC

Where is Phil.H these days...

PSC, Dec 27, 2008
  6. micelisun

micelisun

Thanks for the help, I think at this point simply connecting to the unit would be a great accomplishment. I am using a Mark II b&w but am trying to connect via a pc interface through c-bus. Will it work that way?

micelisun, Dec 28, 2008
  7. micelisun

Darren Senior Member

Yes, indeed. He was such a great bloke. I miss him terribly :( (sniff)

Darren, Dec 31, 2008
  8. micelisun

micelisun

so I can connect to the Lutron processor through hyper term and make the shade respond to commands. There is a logic error when I try to do it through c-bus (opening the com port) Is there something I'm missing here
    Thanks in advance

micelisun, Jan 2, 2009
  9. micelisun

Lucky555

I checked the Member List - Phil.H had 482 posts up until September 2007. From reading his posts he seemed to have a healthy sense of humor and tried to help people often.

The contents of this post are a bit worrying though, http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18366#post18366
    I hope nothing untoward happened to him ???

He did seem like a good bloke - but I can't vouch for that personally. ;)

Lucky555, Jan 2, 2009
  10. micelisun

Lucky555

If you have a logic error - then that has to be fixed before you get anywhere. What sort of logic error is it.
    Drop your code into a post - you will need to provide a little more information if anyone is going to have a chance to help you out.

Don't forget the cable you use between the PC (hyperterminal) and Lutron unit may end up different to the cable pin out between the C-Bus embedded device and the Lutron unit.

Have you told us what C-Bus unit you are using ??? - need to read all the posts above - just got back from a lovely holiday on the Coast :):):)

Lucky555, Jan 2, 2009
  11. micelisun

Lucky555

You connect to the MkII to program it - when it reboots and if you have written the logic code properly it will communicate with the Lutron unit via its serial port.

Put a test page on the screen with some buttons that send known messages to the Lutron unit etc....

Lucky555, Jan 2, 2009
  12. micelisun

micelisun

I am using a pc interface and a Mark II. I am assuming that since both the Lutron and Clipsal PC INT are female db9 connections that I should be swapping pin 2 and pin 3. I did that and the logic error I have isn't happening when I compile in Piced. ..........

Logic Run-time Error R100 at line 17:0 - Other error (Unable to open com port (win error code: 2))

micelisun, Jan 4, 2009
  13. micelisun

NickD Moderator

You say you have it working to some extent from Hyperterminal.... this would suggest that you have a suitable cable for connecting to the PC.

You can run the logic engine in PICED on the PC that you are working on.. it might be better to get it all working in PICED on the PC, debug the logic code there, and then tackle any issues with cables once we know the logic code is right.

With your problem with the run time error... can you post the line of code where you are trying to open the com port?

Nick

NickD, Jan 4, 2009
  14. micelisun

Lucky555

For PICED the valid com port is the serial port of the machine / PC you are using. It might be that for PICED / PC the correct com port is com 2 or com 3 where your C-Bus MKII will be com 1. If this is the case you will have to change all references to the correct com port number when you are ready to drop the code into the unit.

Lucky555, Jan 6, 2009
  15. micelisun

PSC

Personally I never liked the guy, he kept going on about his past "I used to be an integrator you know!".

Quite frankly I'm glad he's not around, he wasn't funny nor helpful. He had one of those I'm from "The Shire" attitudes, you know someone is born in "The Shire", went to school in "The Shire", married someone from "The Shire", bought a house in "The Shire" and never leaves "The Shire"!

Anyway this forum is a far better place now that he's not around... :eek:

PSC, Jan 7, 2009
  16. micelisun

ICS-GS

There's no need to be nasty....:rolleyes:

ICS-GS, Jan 7, 2009
  17. micelisun

Lucky555

PSC - you are taking a pretty hard line there. This poor bloke must have done something against you to warrant that blast ??? Maybe you're just getting old and cranky, maybe you were envious of Phil.H and just need to admit it.

That "Shire" place doesn't sound too bad. :)

Lucky555, Jan 7, 2009
  18. micelisun

ICS-GS

Do people from "the shire" have 2 heads, 17 toes or some other misfigurement?:p. I think i may know some people from there!

ICS-GS, Jan 8, 2009
  19. micelisun

PSC

Lucky, if you knew Phil.H you would know exactly what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:

PSC, Jan 9, 2009
  20. micelisun

micelisun

I am using this code in the initialisation section.... OpenSerial(1, 1, 9600, 8, 1, 0, 0); is that correct?

micelisun, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question