Newbie - cant find my network

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom H, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Tom H

Tom H

Hi I'm new to C-Bus and am in the early stages of setting up a network. I have the latest version of tool kit running on windows vista, a PCI (RS232) + 12 channel relay. When scanning to find the network tool kit recognises that the port is in use but will not open the network and cannot retrieve any data from it. I am starting from scratch and have tried the RS232 port and RJ45. I'm stuck:-(
    If anyone knows what the problem might be any suggestions would be much appreciated. Many Thanks Tom

Tom H, Nov 22, 2012
  2. Tom H

Roosta

Hi Tom,

Firstly, when you say you have tried the RJ45, which exact connector are you referring to and what did you plug it into??

Have you provided a mains supply to the L5512RVF? IE is it wired into your mains power? If so all good move on to next step, if not rectify (If you are licenced to) and try again..

Next thing to try would be ensuring you have a burden connected to your cbus network.. This is a little RJ45 connector with red heat shrinked capacitor board.. Plug it into a vacant spot on your PCI and try again..

ALSO worth noting you may have to switch off or deactivate your Virus Protection software to get comms happening..

Let us know how you go..

Cheers..

Roosta, Nov 23, 2012
  3. Tom H

Tom H

Thanks very much.

All the wiring is sorted already and I can use the toggle switches to control a test group I have set up on channel 1. So I know that works fine. I have tried to activate the burden on the reciever in "super learn mode" but makes no difference. Will I need the RJ45 burdon instead?

The RJ45 connection I tried was from the top of the PCI to the network port on my laptop.

I'm away from home ATM but will try the tips when I get back. Can't wait!

Thanks again I'll let you know how it goes!

Tom

Tom H, Nov 24, 2012
  4. Tom H

Roosta

Ok hopefully you have not damaged your laptops ethernet port or the pcis port.. That is not the way to connect up the devices.. One is a network ethernet port and one is a serial rs232 port.. Your best bet is to connect from the 9 pin serial connector to the same connector on your pc.. If your pc does not have this connector you can get a usb to serial 9 pin adapter from electronics stores..

Obviously once you get your connection right, hopefully that will resolve your issue..

Cheers..

Roosta, Nov 25, 2012
  5. Tom H

Tom H

Ok thanks again. What exactly are these network ports for on the top of the PCI?? :-s from the discription on the c-bus website it gave me the impression I could use either to communicate with the PCI. You may have just saved me lots of cash lol thank you.

Tom H, Nov 25, 2012
  6. Tom H

jboer

Hey

This is the manual for the 5500PC: http://www.cleverhome.com.au/manuals/Clipsal-C-Bus-5500PC-PC-Interface-Installation.pdf It shows how the serial port is connected inside.

Basically the 2 x RJ45 sockets and the female DB9 are connected in parallel. The RJ45 sockets on the top are used for integrating the PCI into some other devices. It is a quicker and neater way of doing it, but I agree that they can cause confusion and isn't particularly a good idea.

Just be careful not to plug CBus into the RS232 RJ45 sockets though :) I have seen more than one PCI and serial to USB adaptor cooked.

jboer, Nov 25, 2012
  7. Tom H

Tom H

Great thank you. Thank god for this awesome forum so glad to know there are some guys on here that really know they're stuff. I'm sure when I get the network up and working I'll have a few more questions! I'm just waiting to get hold of the hardwear burden which should be dilivered soon.

Cheers again guys!

Tom H, Nov 26, 2012
Ask a Question