New to C-bus, worth giving a go by myself?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N.W.B, Jul 18, 2019.

1. N.W.B

N.W.B

Hi all, I am building a new house and have been doing extensive research on home automation. I cant even recall how many hours iv spent trying to find a complete package system. so much out there now but all appear to be designed for the retrofit market. So far C-bus appears to be the most robust and relatively accessible for parts system i can find. So my question is... Would C-bus be a advisable solution for a non experienced user/installer.

Some things i would like to achieve with C-bus are:

Gate automation
    Light control
    C-bus system accessible via smart phone
    Curtain control
    analogue/digital inputs
    Ducted A/C control Daikin
    home security alarm

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

N.W.B, Jul 18, 2019
  2. N.W.B

NickD Moderator

In general... everyone has to start somewhere and C-Bus is not too difficult.

A few questions

1) What is your background? If you've done any kind of programming before then the basics should not be a problem. If you want to use one of the Automation Controllers, some more advanced concepts apply, but nothing you can't teach yourself if you're so inclined. Also if you're not a licensed electrician you can't install it yourself.

2) Where are you located? Some of the things you want to do are made easier in Australia/New Zealand because there are better 3rd party integrations available.

Nick

NickD, Jul 19, 2019
  3. N.W.B

N.W.B

Thanks for the reply NickD.

Very little background in programming but I’m not afraid to jump in the deep in and teach myself. Wouldn’t mind doing a C-Bus course but can’t seem to find any in Nz any time soon

I’m located in Nz. Iv look at many different smart devices and systems but I like the idea of having everything din mounted in the one location. KNX would be ideal but difficult to get parts.

And Yes I am a qualified electrician.

N.W.B, Jul 19, 2019
Ask a Question