New kid on the block.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by perri, Jul 12, 2012.

1. perri

perri

Hi all,

i have been reading through this forum for a few weeks and figured i may aswell shoot out a quick hello to all. i've figured that most of you people have been on this forum for 8 years or so and most of the threads are out of my league but still interesting to read.

i have just finished the basic c-bus course and purchased the training kit through the course to practice my skills. We only covered toolkit but really didnt go into too much detail. i have built the kit as a test panel and started doing some basic programming. i've performed some basic switching, use of timer function and played with the scenes. i dont know as yet just how far toolkit can go with the programming but i obviously want to get more use out of it prior to progressing to another program.

If anyone can possibly suggest some programming examples i could attempt i would appreciate it. the test panel contains: pc interface, 4ch dimmer, 1 x neo DLT and 1 x 8g neo. i have simply connected 4 x batten holders to the dimmer channels.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

perri, Jul 12, 2012
  2. perri

Conformist

Hi Mark

Welcome aboard. I would suggest you look around Toolkit and see the many functions it has not only for programming, but for diagnostics too.

Once you are confident with the basics of Toolkit, you can download PICED and play with the touchscreen programming software. This will help build your awareness of the power of the products that make up the system.

Above all else, keep playing with the hardware from your course and the Toolkit software whilst it's still fresh. If you have questions, I'm sure the community here will assist but I suggest you try using the search feature of the forums before posting a question as in most cases, the question has been asked before.

Cheers

Conformist, Jul 12, 2012
  3. perri

Brendan Rogers

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the C-Bus Forum.

One of the best ways to get to know C-Bus is to install some in your own home, where you are actually using it for everyday living. You can then progressively work out how to add new features that you, or other people, will want to use - all in the safe environment of your own home, and at your own pace.

This can be fun as well. :)

Brendan Rogers, Jul 12, 2012
  4. perri

NickD Moderator

This is excellent advice. You will very quickly work out what works, what is intuitive for new users, and what's just plain silly :)

Some of the best feedback we get when developing new products is from the wives and kids of the developers and product managers using the products for the first time :)

Nick

NickD, Jul 13, 2012
  5. perri

perri

thanks for the replies

yep, thats what i plan to do. i will be installing it in my place later this year but until then i wanted to keep experimenting with the test panel but i feel i have already exhausted what my panel, toolkit and imagination can do.

thanks,

Mark

perri, Jul 16, 2012
  6. perri

Matthew

Keep going

Hi Perri
    There's limited value added features you can do with a basic switch and relay/dimmer set-up. You can try things like; setting up a switch so the indicator is always on, pressing it turns the load on to a dimmed output (say40%) and then turns off after 5min. Real life application: switch for the toilet light, the kids can find /use during the night.
    If you can splash out and get a PIR sensor you'll be able to do a fair bit more.

IMO, unless you do some clever things using c-bus, it will only act as a fancy 30series mech - that is a waste of money!
    Things to try:
    - set a scene (you can do a scene in the neo)
    - do an "all off" button
    - have several switch points for one light (eg stairs or several doors to 1 outside light)
    - do some preset dimming levels
    - see if you can use a IR output from your TV remote to turn the neo
    - set a switch as a timer function (bathroom heat lamps/fan)
    Plus if you get a sensor
    - do a PIR & a switch to operate the same outside light (front door)
    - create a sunset switch to auto operate an external light
    -etc

So plenty to do, and to echo the others, your own house will be the best learning ground.
    Cheers

Matthew, Jul 17, 2012
Ask a Question