New EDLT Launch event

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Charlie Crackle, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

It was disappointing that livestream feed was killed so we could not hear the questions from the audience at the event.

http://www.clipsal.com/homeowner/pr...ology_range/enhanced_dynamic_label_technology

Looks like a great product.

It was interesting at the start of the presentation they talked abount how much the "tech" has changed in the home music area in the last 2 years. Hope clipsal are doing some development in this area to keep up as "The market leader"

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
    Charlie Crackle, Feb 5, 2013
  2. Charlie Crackle

Roosta

Totally agree.. And no mention anywhere of price indication that i saw anyways..

Nice features, but definately not ground breaking, market leading stuff..

PS Why did you post this in the wireless section?

Roosta, Feb 5, 2013
  3. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Sorry missed posted this to the wrong section.

BTW: Have been working on something too and not telling just yet.......................

4. Charlie Crackle

Conformist

Sorry we had to kill the Livestream. There was a technical hitch when the venue forgot to put fresh batteries in the microphones so we had to ad-lib and that cost us about 5 minutes... That was the time we had allocated to answer questions.

Please feel free to ask any questions here and I'll answer them no problem.

I'll also try to get a copy of the questions asked and post the replies given here too.

I guess the point we were making about the changes in the photographic and music industries have caused companies to go by the wayside for not keeping up. We (Clipsal) need to lead the market and this is a big start.

I can assure you, there are a lot of things under development that are game changers. The eDLT (trademarked ;-) takes all of the requested features that have been long asked for in the DLT and put into a ground-up development along with a lot more features that lead the market.

Tri-colour LED's are a good example... I saw a competitor do multi-colour LED's a number of years ago and they used transparent film in front of the LED. We wanted to make sure we did coloured LED's that are truly dynamic and can be set by a C-Bus group. What you couldn't see on the stream was that the power-point demonstration was actually driving the colours of the LED indicators that were on display by setting a group level.

Anyway, please feel free to post (technical) questions here and I'll answer them honestly and frankly

Cheers

Conformist, Feb 5, 2013
  5. Charlie Crackle

P2T

OK I'll go first. Love the new switch, great to see some new items that will appeal to the residential home-owner market and ultimately make c-bus more desireable. Hope it looks as good IRL as it does in the press shots.

I am curious on the new 'magnetic' mounting system and how this integrates with standard wall boxes (in brick)?

The presenter mentioned scene toggle (on/off with single button) - will this be accomplished on the switch, without utilising logic code on a wiser?

Is the physical size of the switch the same as the existing DLT?

Any chance of some literature (brochures, manuals, etc) becoming available or is it too early for that?

P2T, Feb 5, 2013
  6. Charlie Crackle

Conformist

Thanks... It does look pretty good. Those at the launch were able to look at actual pre-production units. Anyone who is at the Clipsal 500 next month with Clipsal will get a chance to look at them too.

Good question...

The quick-fix metal bracket that comes with the eDLT is screwed to the brick or plasterboard wall onto standard 84mm mounting centres of the wallbox or bracket that is behind the plasterboard. The magnets attach the eDLT to the bracket. There is a slight recess behind the eDLT to accommodate the bracket so the eDLT sits flush against the wall.

Correct.. There is a scene toggle function that toggles a scene on and off. That is, it sets the scene (on) and then sets all groups associated with the scene to off.

There is also a scene cycle function. That has the ability to cycle through the scenes with the names of each scene appearing on the screen as it is cycled through. Once the desired scene is shown on the screen, the user stops cycling and the scene is executed about a second later.

I'm assuming you mean plate??

It's slightly larger, but not much.

DLT
    Plate - 73mm (W) x 116mm (H)
    Screen - 30mm(W) x 61mm (H)

eDLT
    Plate - 77mm (W) x 122mm (H)
    Screen - 38mm(W) x 62mm (H)

Actual dual action switch is a lot larger.

No, not too early. Tech brochure and 'fluffy' brochure were meant to be available today, but they were not :-( I'm going to push to make sure they are available by the end of the week. I also want the datasheet to be available by then too... The datasheet is my fault and I take responsibility for it not being available... sorry.

Thanks for your questions..

Please, feel free to post more questions if you have them

Cheers

Conformist, Feb 5, 2013
  7. Charlie Crackle

bmerrick

Hi Conformist,

A very aesthetically pleasing & nicely engineered unit. Congrats to all involved. A definite future design award winner!!

A few questions if I may.

1. The specs mention a 'Proximity Sensor'? How does that work and what can it be used to do? Does it switch a group address?

2. How many settable different colours for the LEDs?

3. The switches seem like rockers so I assume 'on right off left','dim up right dim down left' etc. Does that mean each switch is acting like two 'slaved' Saturn buttons with one (right) being On-Up and the other being Off-Down (left). If this is the case, is each direction programmable as different functions? eg left timer, right on/off eg for a fan?

4. Being that DLTs are an integrated mix of firmware, software and hardware is it possiible that some of these new eDLT features will also be available for the existing DLTs (ie trickle down) as firmware upgrades eg, more pages? measurement widgets, big clock etc?

Thanks again for a great show!

Kind Regards,

Brad

bmerrick, Feb 5, 2013
  8. Charlie Crackle

Conformist

The prox. sensor detects movement within 10cm of the front fascia. Once this movement is detected, it can be used to ...

-Wake the eDLT from standby
    -issue a command on a group address
    or ... both.

It behaves in the same way as the C-Touch Spectrum touchscreen

There are nine (sort of ;-)
    1- White
    2- Red
    3- Green
    4- Blue
    5- Cyan
    6- Magenta
    7- Yellow
    8- Orange
    9- Black (off really)

We've limited it to this many for now, but as each button has a tri-colour LED arrangement, other colours could be included in the future if this is really needed (through a firmware update)

Actually, each button can be programmed to do what you like. They just need to be issuing the command to the same group. So, left may be toggle (short press) ramp down (long press) and right might be toggle (short press) and ramp up (long press). The attributes for each button (pair) is configurable for the group/widget and type you are programming... very flexible. There are a heap of pre-configured ones but you can also create your own custom ones and save them for re-use elsewhere.

Unfortunately not. The DLT (firmware) is full... no room left. The eDLT was originally designed to be an updated DLT with all of the features we had been asked for in the DLT...we just kept adding more to make it a kick-ass product.

Cheers

Conformist, Feb 5, 2013
  9. Charlie Crackle

Roosta

No IR capability? I know not really used much any more with phandangle smart devices n wifi n such but an IR reciever could have been handy on the odd occasion in board rooms, lounge rooms etc..

Also indicative trade/retail price? Which ever you feel more appropriate.. Ballpark would be good..

Will the current DLT have a price reduction in response to the eDLT release?

Overall the features listed for th eDLT read very good.. Bit concerned with how all the text will look with that many lines of text And info trying to be displayed on an LCD that is only 8mm wider and 1mm taller than the current LCD.. But reserve final judgement until i have one in my hand..

Cheers..

Roosta, Feb 5, 2013
  10. Charlie Crackle

ashleigh Moderator

Scene toggle and scene cycle... Gee I remember implementing all those back in C-Bus Wireless! A little known feature back then. A screen on a DLT would certainly have made it more obvious what's going on.

ashleigh, Feb 5, 2013
  11. Charlie Crackle

Conformist

The IR was on the original spec but was cut... as you've suggested, not used much these days so it was deemed a waste.

Pricing is a commercial decision... not my area, sorry. I'm pushing for a similar price to DLT as this will be phased out at some point in the future and I would like to see these babies in every room of the house... won't happen if they are too expensive.

The resolution of the screen makes the text options look great! I agree that we don't want to see too much text on the screen but with the way the widgets are broken up, the screen doesn't look too busy

Conformist, Feb 5, 2013
  12. Charlie Crackle

2SC

What about Global Product Release?

It's nice to see a Global Product Launch for such an impressive new product like the eDLT.
    However here on the upper side of Earth we are wishing for a Global Product Release.
    Old products like the ELV relay unit, the fan controller or the Europe style Modena switches are still not available in the UK market...

2SC, Feb 5, 2013
  13. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

How much c-bus power do they use ? Does this reduce when in standby mode ?

How does the screw attachement work to stop people stealing them. (you can buy the wall bracket and cable as a spare parts. If these parts start selling well you will know there is a good 2nd and grey market !

I assume the screw attachement comes with the product.

Why firmware update over USB, I assume over cbus it would be too long, and if not a stable network might corrupt them.

I was hoping to see some sort of krone IDC connector at the end of the cable not the old screw terminals. I assume this was investigated.

I like how you can unplug them.

does the unit have to be cbus powered to beable to upgrade the firmware ? Or do you have to unplug and power from usb to upgrade firmware ?

I assume firmware updates wont occur that often.

If you can get the price down below the current DLT it will be in every room

The feature to have 4 pages or 5 switches is very cool.

Measurement App display is great also.

14. Charlie Crackle

znelbok

At least a firmware update can be done. Hopefully this is the start of a new trend for C-Bus hardware.

Can the screen colour scheme be switched easily (i.e. by group change).

e.g. day time use the white background, but at night go to the black so its less intense on the eyes in a darkened room.

Was the live stream recorded so it can be viewed at a later date?

znelbok, Feb 5, 2013
  15. Charlie Crackle

Conformist

They use 32mA on the bus. All C-Bus products use constant current (power) regardless of their state. So the current consumption will not change in this state. We are looking at changing this but it is a monumental shift. This constant state is what gives C-bus its robustness from a network perspective.

The caps above and below the buttons are removable. The screws are then put through the product into the mounting bracket that has tapped holes to accommodate the screws

Yes

Correct. The amount of data is large and should not be put down the Bus... we looked long and hard at this.

It was as was cat 5 crimps. Problem with IDC is a special tool and terminating multiple wires. We need to keep as much as possible to standard wiring practices but make it convenient, hence the C-Bus flylead

Good... This has been a massive benefit during our testing along with the magnetic attachment

Need to have C-Bus power to update the firmware

Correct... It's a great benefit though as we have left plenty of room for improvements

The feature to have 4 pages or 5 switches is very cool.

Agree. Now you can see where the (new) temperature sensor unit fits in too. There are also a number of tweaks you can do to push the boundaries even further. I will be interested to see what you guys can come up with.

Cheers

Conformist, Feb 5, 2013
  16. Charlie Crackle

Conformist

That's the plan

Yes... It's done at thresholds on groups. You can get four different colours based on the group level

Interesting point. I'll take a close look. I'm sure this example is possible, but i haven't actually tried it myself

Yes, log onto the Livestream link and it is available. We're editing the stream just to improve the audio and the video of the install that didn't work. We're not removing anything, just improving it.

Conformist, Feb 6, 2013
  17. Charlie Crackle

71monaro

edlt and measurements

Does a power monitoring readout from a CMU to eDLT require additional logic device?
    What if I have 3 phase and solar PV and a basic lighting c-bus system with no PAC, wiser or ctouch?

71monaro, Feb 6, 2013
  18. Charlie Crackle

ievolve

@Conformist, thanks for taking your time to field questions. I am new to clipsal. I got a little overzealous and promptly filled my walls with DLT anticipating I could do cool stuff like display the current weather, current song that was playing, and whatever other status info I could dream up.

My hopes were dashed when I actually asked the community about doing this. I was informed that the DLT's were not meant to dynamically have their labels updated with any sort of frequency and doing so would kill my DLT's in short order (see here: http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7331)

Question is, do these new eDLT's suffer the same fatal flaw?

ievolve, Feb 6, 2013
  19. Charlie Crackle

nickrusanov

Great device!

Can we control temperature setpoint on it? It would be great to be able to do that

nickrusanov, Feb 6, 2013
  20. Charlie Crackle

znelbok

I must be getting old and blind as I can't find the link you mentioned. The only link that has been given in this thread was inthe orginal post.

znelbok, Feb 6, 2013
Ask a Question