New Complementary C-Bus Device "Translink"

Discussion in 'Third-Party Solutions' started by rhamer, Feb 5, 2013.

1. rhamer

rhamer

As today is a day for new product announcements, I would like to announce the launch of a new C-Bus related product that we have designed.

The device is called "Translink" and more information can be found here and on our website http://www.hamfield.com.au

There is also a forum, so as to not to tie up this one with a 3rd party product.

In the interests of disclosure, the interested parties on this forum are myself and Charlie Crackle, with a few other volunteer beta testers that may choose identify themselves. And just to be clear, this is a product designed and built by Hamfield and we are not connected in any way to Clipsal.

Regards

Rohan

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
    rhamer, Feb 5, 2013
  2. rhamer

ashleigh Moderator

Although commercial in nature - Hamfield did run this past the mods before posting. We think its of general interest to the community.... specifics of it, pricing, etc can all appear elsewhere.

ashleigh, Feb 5, 2013
  3. rhamer

znelbok

Well done Rohan.

I'll put my hand up to say I have been testing and it has not given me one issue at all (which is why Rohan has not heard from me).

All the best for the new product.

Mick

znelbok, Feb 5, 2013
  4. rhamer

rhamer

Thanks Mick, the cheque's in the mail......:D

Rohan

rhamer, Feb 5, 2013
  5. rhamer

ievolve

Looks real nice, congrats on the launch!

ievolve, Feb 6, 2013
  6. rhamer

rhamer

Thanks, I appreciate the comment.

Regards

Rohan

rhamer, Feb 7, 2013
  7. rhamer

rhamer

Translink App now available on the App Store

For those that have been waiting, the Translink iOS App is now available on the Apple App Store.

Search for "Translink"

Regards

Rohan

rhamer, Feb 11, 2013
  8. rhamer

mminehan

1) Are there any plans to 'open this up'? Maybe publish the protcol on the ethernet side so that people can write their own apps and pluggins for automation software? For example I would think if it worked with many of the 'DIY' automation products (e.g. Homeseer) there would be a greater demand. Most of the automation products allow users to develop their own plugins.

2) Will it support other C-Bus applications (e.g. heating) in the future? Again another sales point for automation software.

3) Any plans for an Android app (seeing as Android is out selling iOS)?

Looks good though. Marty

mminehan, Feb 27, 2013
  9. rhamer

rhamer

This will likely happen in the future. We need to expand the functionality first. However if somebody wanted it for a scecific reason, we could probably arrange something.

Yes it will. Which ones and in what order depends on user feedback. We have a couple that are already scheduled for inclusion in the next release. BTW the controller firmware is field flash upgradeable as new versions are released.

We would like to see an Android app (and Windows 8), but probably wont do it ourselves. We would make the API available to interested developers.

I appreciate your comments.

Regards

Rohan

rhamer, Feb 27, 2013
  10. rhamer

mminehan

Rohan,

This looks very enticing. I am about to bite the bullet on C-Bus lighting and most likely thermostats. I'm planning on using home automation software called Homeseer (www.homeseer.com) to provide intelligence.

There is a way to control c-bus lighting via xAP with Homeseer using a c-bus/xAP interface which I have tested and works well. But it does not support the c-bus heating application.

This leaves me in a pickle. Either use something else to control heating that Homeseer can control, hope that another solution comes along (like Translink), or have no automation over heating controls.

So....how confident are you guys that the heating application will be supported in Translink? Is it possible to get an idea of the Ethernet protocol used to see if a plug-in can be written for Homeseer?

If it is highly likely and not too difficult then I will jump on board.

Marty

mminehan, Mar 24, 2013
  11. rhamer

rhamer

Hi Marty,

Unfortunately you are a bit too quick for us.

The heating application is not in the current firmware, but is on the list to be added to the next release (and yes you can update the Translink firmware yourself), however I cant tell you at this stage when that release will be.

I'm adding support for a number of new C-Bus applications, including the much requested Trigger, to enable the firing of scenes.

With regard to interfacing into software such as Homeseer this is something we will do but again we are not ready yet. We need to add extra functionality to the API to support secure login and other such things.

We have had many requests to use/modify or adapt the Translink to specific tasks, all of which are very possible, but can't happen instantly, so we need to prioritise what functionality gets implemented in what order.

If it were me I would go with C-Bus and the thermostats for sure (there is nothing better) and look at adding the heating control from Homeseer as a stage 2 task. Hopefully by then we'll be in a better position to do what you need.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Mar 24, 2013
  12. rhamer

ashleigh Moderator

Please bear in mind there is a C-Bus Heating Application.

This is almost certainly not what you want to use or support.

You probably mean (and want) the C-Bus Air-Conditioning Application ($AC). This is what is used to play nice with Thermostats.

ashleigh, Mar 26, 2013
  13. rhamer

rhamer

Yes the AC application $AC is what I intended, I just used the term heating.

BTW I just realised the AC application address is $AC, is that the technical guys having a bit of fun?

Regards

Rohan

rhamer, Mar 26, 2013
  14. rhamer

mminehan

So the AC application can address the thermostats and change the set points? In our application the thermostats will be used to control underfloor heating zones.
    M

mminehan, Mar 26, 2013
  15. rhamer

NickD Moderator

Indeed... we are easily amused.. there are a few more if you look for them :)

Nick

NickD, Mar 27, 2013
  16. rhamer

NickD Moderator

As well as that, the HVAC application is pretty challenging to implement. Using the C-Bus Module will save you a lot of pain, but even then the exercise will probably still not be entirely painless.

The C-Bus Thermostats are a very complex beast... you really need to invest the time to understand their capabilities and how/if they will work with your plant before you commit to using them.

Nick

NickD, Mar 27, 2013
Ask a Question