Networks dropping out intermitently??

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Jobba, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Jobba

Jobba

I have site that has been established for quite some time, nothing big, 2 networks involved switching warehouse lighting. Sounds simple. During the day it all works fine, both networks online 100%, all good. Most evenings it seems, once the loads to the warehouse are decreased that the networks slowly go into a degraded state, finally ending up going offline. C-Gate appears to lock up & cannot re-open the network/s, C-Gate comes back with "stuck Transmitter". The only way I can get the site running again is closing C-Gate & re-opening, & it all syncs fine, for 12 hrs.
    The only external "potential issue" I can see is the mains voltage being too high. During the day I can see on the check metering in the MDB that each phase is sitting on about 252V, when approx 1000A per phase is being drawn. I had a log put on the mains voltage & it peaks at about 275V when the load is decreased " nightime". Does anyone know if this has a detrimental effect on my network voltage's/ communications, I know they work within 120-240V range? But 275V? I'm clutching at straws a bit I know, has anyone had any similiar issues out there. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jobba, Oct 20, 2010
  2. Jobba

tobex

I am not an authority on this topic but wanted to know if you have installed

- Voltage over protection
    - Surge arresters

In the remote C-Bus load centre. I have to wonder if the problem is caused by back-EMF from inductive loads. In that event you may need optically isolated power to the C-Bus system.

As I say I am not the expert but I was interested in how this gets resolved.

In large industrial setups I normally specify optical links on LAN-LAN gateway between buildings. This eliminates any interaction between copper wiring and noise coming from large machines.

Just a thought but is there any chance that the power in the building shuts down at the far end. Maybe the C-Bus gets shutdown when the building is switched off.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010
    tobex, Oct 20, 2010
  3. Jobba

towbar

I have a similira problem on 2 domestic setups - thankfully not as frequently as every 12 hours typical 3-4 days

check the exception.info file in the cgate folder and see if cgate has crashed

I get

-***- C-Gate Server Exception -***-
    Version: v2.8.0 (build 2309)
    Time: Sun Oct 24 18:28:20 BST 2010
    Thread: Thread[CBusReceiver,7,CGateThreadGroup]
    Group: CGateThreadGroup
    Exception: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 10
    Stack Details Below:
    java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 10
    at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
    at D.h(ProGuard:474)
    at cG.a(ProGuard:3413)
    at iJ.a(ProGuard:121)
    at iJ.run(ProGuard:77)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

towbar, Oct 28, 2010
  4. Jobba

tobex

In relation to anything which is Java associated I would strongly recommend that you revert to an older Java, such as the one included in the original installer software and then in the CONTROL PANEL open JAVA and disable the UPDATES.

There are numerous instances where newer Java changes object handling in newer versions to cope with larger file caching. Some of the older features get new syntax or dropped totally. So in some cases the OEM supplied Java is better than the latest version.

I know the same thing applies to a number of industrial tools in the Automotive world and even some games for children. Things just come to a halt for no reason.

There is also a JAVA CACHE in the control panel icon JAVA. You can click to empty the cache totally of all stored files. This will remove any old java.

IF you then also updated C-Gate several times you may find that old C-gate files still linger in the JAVA cache.

Some of these tedious house-keeping rules have proven to be very useful.

tobex, Oct 29, 2010
Ask a Question