Network Routes and Bridges

Discussion in 'C-Bus Serial Protocols' started by pspeirs, Oct 7, 2015.

1. pspeirs

pspeirs

Hi All,
    I thought I'd already posted about this however apparently not. In any case I'm looking at the option of having my design respond to trigger messages and send the current status back. I have a few questions in regards to this mainly in the Point to Point to Multi-Point messages.

I've looked through the documentation however still confused as to the exact format of these requests,\.

I understand the command in the format \035609CA022501AC where
    03 = A Pt-Pt-MPt message
    56 = Bridge Address 56
    09 = Network Route
    CA = Application ID
    02 = Trigger Event
    25 = Trigger Group
    01 = Action Selector

What I'm a little unsure of is . . .
    1. The information in the Serial Interface User Guide Page 19 shows a "table" of Network Route addresses 09, 12, 1B, 24, 2D and 36 and 09 doesn't show a bridge address, so I'm confused by the 09 in the above command with a Bridge Address.

2. If we go through multiple Bridges, how would the command look.

3. I've seen quotes like "Receiving device can ignore this (internetwork routing bytes) as the reverse route is not important". Does this mean I don't route the message back to the originating network?

Hope this all makes sense.

Cheers,
    Paul

pspeirs, Oct 7, 2015
  2. pspeirs

pspeirs

Hi,

Still need to know what a message will look like after coming through multiple bridges. Anyone have some ideas, experiences. Obviously I need to direct any requests back to the sending network.

Cheers,
    Paul

pspeirs, Oct 14, 2015
  3. pspeirs

rhamer

You don't have to worry about this in some circumstances.
    If the bridges are set to pass all traffic the message will find its way back.

So it depends if your application is only for use by you, or networks where you can mandate the passing of all messages?

If it's for general use on large networks then yes you need to read the path the message took, and direct it back....... I think.

It's been some time since I did bridge stuff, and I'm going by memory.

Either way, your really going to need to get a couple of bridges and build a test network to confirm.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Oct 14, 2015
  4. pspeirs

pspeirs

Hi Rohan,

Unfortunately money is an issue at the moment, perhaps the bridges will need to wait a while. I believe that when the message passes through the networks the bridge address will be redefined in the message to reflect the return path address. At this point I'd just like to know what the format is after going through multiple bridges so I can make a start on that section.

No probs, the design is coming along fine in any case and at least it chews up the 90 minute train ride each way to my regular job.

Cheers,
    Paul

pspeirs, Oct 14, 2015
  5. pspeirs

rhamer

I'll see if I can remember, and have a look in my code.

But from my very rusty memory, I think it is the header that changes and has a byte that contains the number of hops, and the bridge address gets added to the command string.

So the message header gets longer by one byte each time it passes through a bridge.

Again, it's only my memory and I could be thinking of something different.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Oct 14, 2015
  6. pspeirs

pspeirs

No worries, appreciate that if you have time. I know how tough it is remembering how you originally did something.

Cheers,
    Paul

pspeirs, Oct 15, 2015
  7. pspeirs

foradie

Problem with local networks, integrated with bridge

In one of the projects I have much groups of light and other controlled objects and control devices, so I had to create two networks, both networks include all controlled objects, but control devices are devided between this two networks. So I have a problem, one of the movement sensors is placed in one network and the relay module in second one, so there is a problem with switching the light, that is controoling by this movemet sensor threw relay. What could be done to improve the situation without transfer thesensor from one network to another. Can be the problem in the bridge?

foradie, Feb 10, 2016
Ask a Question