Network Interface

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by gismo4486, Aug 6, 2004.

1. gismo4486

gismo4486

I have just set myself up a test board to experiment with C-Bus units for the first time.
    As my first problem was the 12 v power pack supplied with a Network Interface was not supplying any voltage, I realised I was off to a bad start.
    After connecting another supply & connecting to my computer via network cable, the Network Int. established a good link and confimed that the unit has connection via C-Bus Communication Server .
    I am unable to scan my network as an error occurs saying PC Interface not detected.
    As I understand a Network Interface should act as a PC Interface in this situation.
    Any help would be appreciated.

gismo4486, Aug 6, 2004
  2. gismo4486

JackD

Network interface is a PC interface

The network interface (CNI) is just a PC interface that you can talk to over ethernet. None of the C-Bus software makes any distinction and calls the CNI a PC interface. What you have to wonder is what is going on to make this message come up. Both the C-Bus Unit/Comms light and Ethernet lights should be Orange if everything is normal. If not, then you've got to do some faultfinding with the voltages etc.

JackD, Aug 9, 2004
  3. gismo4486

Duncan

Hi Gismo,

It's not clear from your post.. are you using Redirector Software? the V2.7.x C-Bus Installation Software is only capable of communicating via COM Ports so you need to use something like the Lantronics Redirector software to get V2 successfully talking to a CNI..

We provide it for download from our site at:

http://www.clipsal.com/cis/downloads.php3#Lantronix

Duncan, Aug 9, 2004
  4. gismo4486

znelbok

Can you ping the CNI. The LED will be orange even without an IP address assigned.

Installing the redirector software is only half the battle. Getting the right port number is also required.

The redirector software creates a virtual com port that is tied to an IP address.

You need to setup the C-Bus software to point to the new virtual com port. When you do you will see a message on the screen about opening a port on the IP address assigned.

The port information should be in the documentation now, wasn't when I got my CNI.

Mick

znelbok, Aug 9, 2004
Ask a Question