network error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Gray, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Steve Gray

DarylMc

Jaycar might swap if they have a FTDI version.
    Give them a call.
    Maybe Officeworks.
    RS Components should have one.
    Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

DarylMc, Apr 16, 2022
  2. Steve Gray

Steve Gray

Thanks again mate, its beer o,clock

Steve Gray, Apr 16, 2022
  3. Steve Gray

Conformist

The Prolific (chip) issue seems to be one with Toolkit/CGate. I have an older Prolific adapter that works perfectly well with the latest version of Toolkit. I also have several Prolific 'chipped' devices with the exact same drivers that work (talk to C-Bus) using the C-Bus Diagnostic Utility but won't connect to Toolkit. I'm guessing there's something in Toolkit that doesn't agree with the newer Prolific devices even though they're using the same driver. Would love to solve this one day when I have time.

Conformist, Apr 18, 2022
    DarylMc likes this.
  4. Steve Gray

ashleigh Moderator

Prolific chipset is cheap which is why a lot of manufacturers use it. Unfortunately they do a whole lot of strange things, such as:
    - Use the same USB VID and PID for different products, so drivers get all confused
    - Release and then deprecate drivers, where products that worked won't work any more on newer drivers

I could go on. I've wasted far more days of my life than are warranted or sensible dealing with Prolific USB/serial converters to the point now where my approach is "just don't go there" - if you value your sanity.

Use an FTDI adaptor. RS or Element14 should have them.

ashleigh, Apr 25, 2022
    Conformist likes this.
  5. Steve Gray

Steve Gray

EDIT, got a FTDI USB from DTECH, worked a treat with me being able to update toolkit to the latest version available and retrieve the information.
    Now to tackle the Colour Touch Screen

Steve Gray, May 14, 2022
    DarylMc likes this.
  6. Steve Gray

Dasman

As an FYI, I noticed that whatever transition that happened between 1.11 and 1.12 of Toolkit caused this issue with Prolific based USB to RS232 converters to arise, sticking with an FTDI or Silicon Labs based USB to RS232 converter has been the go ever since

Dasman, Jun 10, 2022
Ask a Question