Network Dead ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leigh, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Leigh

Leigh

OK, I now know what happened, but others may learn from my confusion.

I installed Toolkit 1.10.7, no problems. I then decided to try it out on a network that had worked perfectly for two years.

Hooked up to the network via a PCI and scanned the network. All looked OK. Closed the network and removed the PCI then immediately walked a couple of paces to the nearest Neo and pushed a button - DEAD!! No LED on the button, no light operating. Now in a cold sweat. Pushed another button - same result, pushed a third button - same again. Panic!!!

Pushed a fourth button - all OK!! Pushed the first three buttons again - all working!?!? Totally confused.

I had never experienced this behaviour before so rang Tech Support. After going over the steps that I took, the conclusion was that the PCI contained a burden and a clock. When I removed the PCI from the network and quickly pushed a Neo button, the network was still adjusting to the loss of a burden and a clock. If I had been a bit slower I wouldn't have experienced the problem. Does this mean we all need to slow down a bit :)

Leigh, Nov 1, 2009
  2. Leigh

Newman

Based on the info you've provided, that diagnosis sounds about right.

What is probably prudent to do now is check that the network can still communicate reliably. To do this, reconnect the PCI and disable it's clock and burden. Then scan the network using Toolkit. If you can scan and upload unit parameters, then all should be fine.

Newman, Nov 1, 2009
Ask a Question