Network comms error?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by i-Home, May 29, 2013.

1. i-Home

i-Home

Hi

Hopefully someone can suggest what might be causing the issues found on a cbus wired install. Basically the system is not behaving as it should but has been working fine for a few years, so something has developed a fault or has been modified -

The system was fitted approx 4 yrs back but over the last 2 wks has been behaving "oddly". I spent some time today comparing the cbus unit network settings to the database settings, and here's what I found -

* An 8ch Dimmer which used to be at unit address 018 had been moved to address 001, which was still being used by a 12 ch Relay. So the toolkit showed address 001 as being a duplicate.
    * I finally got the dimmer moved back to address 18, and the relay set as address 1 with the burden and clock turned on. The 2nd and 3rd Relays also have their clocks turned on.
    * A 12 ch Relay which was set to unit address 002 was now at address 050.
    * Most of the output units were being shown as having been learned, although the home owner is confident that no-one has modified the system since we last connected to it approx 3 yrs back.
    * Over the last week seemingly random lights would be turned on, including all lighting during the middle of the night.
    * For many hours using the toolkit I was having severe issues accessing the network, often not scanning correctly and failing to save to the network devices.
    * All network voltages seem fine at around 26-28 volts.
    * At times certain button presses would result in the button led to flash blue/orange, but this didn't happen often.
    * I checked more than once that the software burden was enabled on unit at address 001, and that the clocks were turned on with 3x output units.
    * As I was having severe issues saving to the network, I tried powering down and bypassing relay 2 at address 002, as this device had been thought by the client to have caused issues. Straight away we could save to units normally, and button presses operated as expected, with no blue/orange flash......
    BUT approx 3 hours later I got a call that all switches within the system flash blue/orange when pressed, and now no buttons function. The client is resorting to turning off lights by shutting down the system.
    * The problems reported by the client only seem to have started after a power cut approx 2 weeks ago.

So my question/s - is there anything likely to have been damaged during a power cut that subsequently could affect the system network communication? All voltages seem fine, one software burden is enabled, 3x clocks are turned on, all cbus units seem to be scanning ok within toolkit (albeit sometimes the scan takes a long time and does seem to have trouble reading all unit data), so there is no obvious faulty product. Do the symptoms above indicate faulty power supplies? faulty burden? should I try using a hardware burden instead of the software selectable burden on unit address 1?

The system consists of approx 48 cbus units: 12 ch relays, 8 ch dimmers, a 4 ch dimmer, Saturn 4 & 6 button switches, Saturn DLT's, a couple of PIR's, a coupler, a colour ctouch and a B&W ctouch.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
    i-Home, May 29, 2013
  2. i-Home

Phil1987

Replace the power supplies, I've gone to numerous cbus jobs and had similar issues, as soon as I see the symptoms replacing network power supplies almost alway fixes it.

Past experience with cbus has told me that voltage on the network doesn't guarantee the power supplies are working.

Phil1987, Jun 3, 2013
  3. i-Home

i-Home

Thanks for that Phil1987, although IIRC we have approx 6 to 8 powered units, so replacing all the power supplies would mean replacing between 6-8 output units - not exactly a cheap option.

i-Home, Jun 5, 2013
  4. i-Home

jakelanauze

Do you have surge protection on the installation at all? Is there any possiblity of moisture in terminations at your input units? You may have to cast your net a bit further than software issues.
    Power supplies is probably a likely place to start if there has been a power cut/ surge scenario though.

jakelanauze, Jun 6, 2013
  5. i-Home

rhamer

Divide and conquer.

Split the network in half, and keep doing so until you narrow it down to a single unit or segment.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jun 6, 2013
Ask a Question