network bridging

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by weskate, Jun 25, 2014.

1. weskate

weskate

Hi
    I have a basic CBUS understanding
    however i went to a site today with 106 units on the network and had real problems scanning the network.
    the other problem is the site had old style relays (cat number 5104rvf) with the plug in power supply.

how would the network go if i added a new network bridge in?
    thanks

weskate, Jun 25, 2014
  2. weskate

Mr Mark

Are you looking at putting a network bridge in to make two networks (so you have less than 100 devices per network)?
    Your network scanning issues are more likely caused by the old power supplies reaching end of life. Other symptoms can be intermittent control and flashing indicators on switches. A rule of thumb used to be measuring more than 40 VDC from an unloaded power supply (5000PS) meant it was no good. The best way to check would be with an oscilloscope.

Try this document for more info: http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technic...ustomer_service/Handbook_-_C-Bus_Analysis.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
    Mr Mark, Jun 25, 2014
  3. weskate

weskate

yeah i was planning to split the network in two to have less units so to speak.

i measured the voltage it was at about 35v.

the site is complaining that the cbus network intermittently is not working.

weskate, Jun 25, 2014
  4. weskate

Roosta

Alternatively look at refurbing the site with DIN style relay modules with built in power supplies.. You will reduce number of cbus units and give the system nice clean new power.. No bridge required...

Adding a bridge to an existing network of that size requires careful planning..

Roosta, Jun 25, 2014
  5. weskate

weskate

yeah i understand,
    im just a tech who got lumped with this job
    so just working out my options
    the boss reckons a network bridge is the only option- so ill be the one installing it just getting as much info as i can

weskate, Jun 25, 2014
  6. weskate

Roosta

Adding the bridge is probably just a 'bandaid' not a solution..

If comms is intermittently dropping out and it is due to power issues, adding a bridge may just make it worse..

Depending on what the existing network consists of will dictate how big a task it will actually be to install and configure.. It is not just as simple as install the bridge and away everything goes.. You will need to 'redesign' the 2 new networks based on the existing equipment and the actual physical geography of the equipment.. Once thats organised you will then have to do the software side of things, setting up the bridge and modifying the existing program..

And after all that the problem may still be there if you have troublesome powersupply units..

In a system of that age if it has been installed and trouble free for a long period up until recently then realistically the 106 unit thing probably is not the problem..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
    Roosta, Jun 25, 2014
  7. weskate

weskate

How would it would adding new power supplies to old style relays and dimmers?

weskate, Jun 26, 2014
  8. weskate

DarylMc

Hi weskate
    Before you go down that path check the price of power supplies v output units with built in power supplies.

DarylMc, Jun 26, 2014
  9. weskate

weskate

yeah i argee
    the more research i do a network bridge is more hassle and only a band aid solution.
    a full re furb is probably required.
    there is a cbus clipsal minder in the network what would be the solution to replacement of this piece of equpiment?

thanks in advance

weskate, Jun 27, 2014
  10. weskate

Roosta

Replace the minder with a PAC controller, or preferably a touchscreen with logic..

A full refurb may not be necessary as pretty much all of the cbus units are forward and backwards compatible.. You could simply get it all up and running and then as things fail, replace them, however the continued site visits etc, may end up costing more than simply upgrading to the newer gear..

Roosta, Jun 27, 2014
  11. weskate

weskate

how can you see what the minder is controlling?
    to the get the network working could we try replacing the power supplies and see if that works?

weskate, Jun 27, 2014
  12. weskate

rhamer

I have an alternative thought.

You seem to be focused on the fact that the gear is old, and ignoring the usual fault finding processes.

It may well be that it is the problem, but it may not be too.

I would start by cutting the network in half (just find a good place where you can disconnect a big chunk of units and see if you can then do a successful scan.

Others will know all the testing tricks, but voltage/burden and the log file are all good things to look at.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jun 27, 2014
Ask a Question