network bridges - when needed, how configured?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Neil C, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Neil C

Neil C

Can anybody please give me a guide as to when a network bridge should be installed in a C-bus network?

Also, if a bridge is installed, I assume the network is effectively split into two. How then do the network components on one side of the bridge communicate with items on the other side of the bridge?

Lastly, if a bridge is installed, is it possible to use a PC running the C-bus toolkit software to configure items on both sides of the bridge, or can it only configure units on it's own side of the bridge? If the PC needs to be connected on both sides of the bridge, is there any way around having to install dual PC interfaces?

Neil C, Jan 15, 2008
  2. Neil C

znelbok

You use one when you want to segregate the networks or there are too many nodes on the C-bus network.
    Some say use one when you have an underground run as protection.
    I use one in the duplex we have. Each Dwelling is on its own network.

You can make the bridge transparent so that the commands on one network will pass through tot he other network. Caution with this You can create say group 5 as "Lounge" on one network and "Driveway" on the other. Whenever you turn on the Lounge lights on the first network, the driveway lights will be turned on on the other network - basically group 5 on both networks will be controlled.
    We have the bridge set to be transparent so that we can control common lights or if we are going to visit next door we turn on the front lights of their house before we get there. Also good for playing pranks when they have pissed me off as well.

Toolkit can work through the bridge to setup the remote network.

Mick

znelbok, Jan 15, 2008
  3. Neil C

Neil C

OK, so in order to ensure that each device is controlled without interfering with another device on the second network, you must need to use unique group numbers. Alternatively, is it possible to perhaps prefix a group address with a network identifier, which would then allow duplication of group numbers? My concern is that if a network bridge is being installed because of the number of nodes on the network, then it may be possible to run out of group addresses. Would a network bridge avoid this situation, and would it allow similar group addresses to be uniquely identified in some way?

Neil C, Jan 15, 2008
  4. Neil C

znelbok

Yes if the bridge is in transparent mode. If the option "Send to adjacent Network" is not ticked then they are two separate networks

The group name can be anything you like. Group addresses are group addresses and don't change

If you have a network with that many nodes that you need a bridge then there is always a chance that you will exceed the allowed 256 groups. You might need to use your applications a little more wisely.

You can also only connect an application only (two actually). Instead of sending all applications you can send only lighting and say trigger control. If you only want to trigger scenes on the remote network only connect the trigger control application. Load up toolkit and add a bridge and have a look at the options.

Mick

znelbok, Jan 16, 2008
Ask a Question