Ness or Homesafe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zx9, Jun 17, 2009.

1. zx9

zx9

Hi, i was about to order a Ness D16x cbus enabled alarm panel for my new house when I cam across the Clipsal HomeSafe 5400/16CB arm Panel.

Now I am confused, are these one and the same thing (if so please ignore all below).

else does anyone have any opinions of which is better and why? i can't really find any detailed information on the HomeSafe, like does it use the standard 4 core alarm cable or would it require cbus cat5 between detectors? , can it use existing cbus PIRs that are already used for lighting purposes. i see it doesnt have any pet immused PIRs, can i use the Ness ones then? why would i buy the clipsal over the Ness?

Thanks all.

zx9, Jun 17, 2009
  2. zx9

NickD Moderator

Ness make the Homesafe for Clipsal. I believe it is the same panel.

Yes

No.. and while youre thinking along these lines... it's not a good idea to try and do the opposite and use the security PIRs as an alternative for lighting ones. You don't want every movement while the system is disarmed causing a message on your bus, because it will degrade its performance for everything else (like lighting).

I don't think it comes with any PIRs.. you can use any standard security type sensors.. I've used the Rokonet pet ones with mine. They seem pretty good, but I still get the occasional false trip. I put that down to the installer (me) not knowing how to set them up properly :|

Nick

NickD, Jun 17, 2009
  3. zx9

daniel C-Busser Moderator

I have used the Homesafe 5400/16CB and Clipsal PIRs (both standard and pet-sensitive) to push C-Bus messages in two rooms where I didn't want to install a C-Bus PIR. The timeouts on these PIRs are fairly long and it seemed okay for that small residental installation.

BUT... such a configuration must be used with care and awareness of traffic levels, and this is outlined in Page 2 of the Programming Manual C-Bus Supplement:

http://www3.clipsal.com/cis/pdf_files/540016CB_CBus_installation_supplement.pdf

daniel, Jun 18, 2009
  4. zx9

zx9

Question answered ... thanks all

Just had it back from the cbus sales guys. These are infact exactly same alarm panel, both made by Ness. The only difference being the clipsal homesafe rebranding and extra cost. (Yes excactly the same but clispal charge more for there rebranded one)

so i'm going with ness.

zx9, Jun 18, 2009
Ask a Question