Ness M1 and C-BUS lighting state changes

Discussion in 'Third-Party Solutions' started by JozzaAU, Jan 1, 2020.

1. JozzaAU

JozzaAU

Hi There,

Is anyone able to confirm that C-BUS lighting state changes should be received and reflected in the Ness M1 panel if a light is switched on/off from a C-BUS lighting switch (i.e. wall mounted switch)?

I've finally got some time to setup some simple Home Automation/Control for the family using Home Assistant. At the moment, everything is going pretty well (lighting control from web ui as well as Alexa voice control) but if I use a wall switch to turn a light on the status is not being reflected through to the M1 panel and hence through to the Home Assistant user interface.

I'm using a Ness V3 CBUS interface.

Cheers

Jozza

JozzaAU, Jan 1, 2020
  2. JozzaAU

Ashley

Yes. This should work. I assume you are using the lighting application in the M1 (that's the default). You then need to make sure every cbus group address is assigned in the M1 even if you aren't using them or the results are erratic. Also the M1 Cbus interface will only respond to groups on the local network even if you have bridges in application connect mode.

If you set a cbus group via the M1, does that work?

Ashley, Jan 2, 2020
  3. JozzaAU

JozzaAU

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, every CBUS group address is assigned in the M1 (either as a on/off switch or dimmer). There are no bridges, only a single network. Yes, they're all just using the default lighting application.

I can toggle CBUS lights from the M1 using an automation task without a problem. I can also use the Home Assistant software (which connects to via the XEP) to toggle lights as well, as well as using Alexa voice control that connects through Home Assistant > XEP > M1 > CBUS. However, when I manually toggle a light from a CBUS switch, I don't see the status reflected in Home Assistant - and I can't see a way to check light statuses in the M1. Actually, I might try create an automation rule that triggers on a light switch toggle to see if the message is even getting to the M1 to rule it out as well...

JozzaAU, Jan 2, 2020
  4. JozzaAU

JozzaAU

OK. So I just did a test, and it basically showed that no messages are being received in the direction of CBUS > M1. I can send messaged from M1 > CBUS no problem.

The test was to create an automation rule that when I turned a CBUS light on, the garage door would open. However, the garage door would only open when the light was turned on via the M1 (in this case using eKeypad M1). If I only turned the light on using a CBUS light switch, it would not trigger the M1 automation rule.

So, it looks like I've only got CBUS messages flowing one way. Hence, my question needs to change a bit - what could cause one way messages - is it as simple as a faulty connection (i.e. RX bus leads not connected on the interface) or something more complex?

JozzaAU, Jan 2, 2020
  5. JozzaAU

Ashley

Do you have Transmit Lighting Changes set in the M1 (global option 39) ?

If you have a Telnet client like Terra Term you can connect to the M1XEP via IPv4 mode and see all its transmissions.

Ashley, Jan 2, 2020
  6. JozzaAU

JozzaAU

Yes, I do have Global Option 39 (xmit lighting changes) enabled.

However it appears that the issue the M1 is having is to receive lighting changes from the CBUS. It can send them just fine and turn lights on/off.

Are you aware of a way to see whether the CBUS interface on the M1 is actually receiving the CBUS group messages, or is that what I can do by simply connecting to the M1XEP?

JozzaAU, Jan 2, 2020
  7. JozzaAU

JozzaAU

Ok. See if I telnet to the XEP, I don't see any new messages outputted when a CBUS light turns on or off via a CBUS light switch. But if I turn the light on/off via the M1 I see messages come on screen (with the last byte being slightly different between on and off actions).

So it appears that the CBUS interface is not sending messages to the M1. Which is weird, because the Ness CBUS interface can be configured through CBUS toolkit to change its address (currently set to 50) on the CBUS network, indicating its got tx/rx on the CBUS network.

Anyone have any ideas?

JozzaAU, Jan 2, 2020
  8. JozzaAU

Ashley

Do you have a copy of the Ness Cbus V3 installation manual? It goes through all the steps you need to set it up correctly. It is a bit fussy. :)

Offhand I can't think of any settings that would let it work one way and not the other.

I'll sleep on it...

Ashley, Jan 2, 2020
  9. JozzaAU

JozzaAU

I went through the Ness Cbus manual this morning, and re-did everything front scratch. i.e. Connect up Port 0 to CBUS, import lights from CBUS project, connect CBUS SIM to CBUS, etc. Still the same issue. No lighting application (56) group messages are being received from the CBUS to the Ness CBUS interface by virtue of the lack of light state changes visible in either the elk Keypad iOS app, or messages displayed in the XEP in a telnet window.

JozzaAU, Jan 4, 2020
  10. JozzaAU

JozzaAU

For anyone reading this - I raised a call with the supplier of the C-BUS interface and they sent a replacement. Plugged it in and problem solved! All lighting states are being correctly shown now in the M1 irrespective of what device turns the light on/off (M1 or CBUS switch).

Thank you Ness Corporation- excellent service again!

JozzaAU, Jan 10, 2020
    Mr Mark likes this.
Ask a Question